Genetic Classification Dialectology, Spatial Analysis
|Specific Family:||Narrow Bantu|
Languages and Cultures
Applications are invited for a two-year PhD scholarship, renewable for another 2 years, beginning October 2014 to work on the Ghent University (UGent) Starting Grant project, a diachronic and spatial analytical approach to linguistic micro-variation in the Kikongo dialect continuum, supervised by Prof. Koen Bostoen at the UGent Department of Languages and Cultures.
The applicant is expected to:
- hold a Master's degree in (African) linguistics or African Languages and Cultures;
- be familiar with Bantu languages and, ideally, with Kikongo;
- have basic competences in historical-comparative linguistics;
- be familiar with quantitative approaches to linguistic variation or be willing to take an intensive training in dialectometrical and multivariate spatial analytical methods;
- have experience with linguistic fieldwork in Africa and/or be willing to do extensive fieldwork in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, in the Republic of Congo and/or Angola (including Cabinda);
- have good knowledge of English; good knowledge of French and/or Portuguese is recommended;
- be a dynamic and enthusiastic team player.
The Ph.D. scholarship recipient will be based at the Africa Section of the Department of Languages and Cultures of the UGent, where he or she will be expected to work in a collegial way with the other members of both the KONGOKING research team and the Department;
Duties and responsibilities:
- close collaboration with other PhD-students working on Kikongo and closely related Bantu languages;
- contributing to the compilation and digitization of the Kikongo language corpus and the Kongo documentation corpus;
- carrying out fieldwork in Central Africa (Democratic Republic of the Congo, in the Republic of Congo and/or Angola);
- carrying out research in close collaboration with the supervisor and with other members of the KONGOKING research team and spreading research results through publication in international peer-reviewed journals and participation in international scientific conferences.
How to apply:
Send CV and Statement of Purpose in English to Prof. Dr. Koen Bostoen, koen.bostoen ugent.be, Department of Languages and Cultures, Rozier 44, 9000 Ghent. Ask also one referee to send a letter of reference before the deadline.
|Application Mailing Address:||Prof. Koen Bostoen Rozier 44 Ghent 9000 Belgium|
|Application Web Address:||http://kongoking.org/documents/UGent-Vacancy-PhDstudent.pdf|
|Contact Information:||Prof. Koen Bostoen firstname.lastname@example.org|