Historical Linguistics Language Change, Language Contact
Faculty of Linguistics and Literary Studies
The Faculty of Linguistics and Literary Studies, University of Bielefeld, Germany, is seeking a candidate for a half-time position of a research assistant (Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter/Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin) in linguistics (E 13 TV-L) in the working group “General Linguistics” (Prof. Stavros Skopeteas).
The research group 'General Linguistics' in the Department of Linguistics specializes in the development of precise methods for cross-linguistic comparison, with particular emphasis on the investigation of empirical questions that are relevant for the contemporary syntactic and semantic theories under consideration of language diversity.
The present announcement is related to the project investigating grammatical change in a language contact situation ('The impact of current transformational processes on language and ethnic identity: Urum and Pontic Greeks in Georgia', funded by the Volkswagen foundation).
The candidate will be a member of the research group “General Linguistics” at the Bielefeld University.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- developing and conducting empirical studies on language contact; presentation of the results in
conferences and preparation of scientific publications (60%);
- coordination of the research activities of the project partners in Georgia (20%);
- participation in academic administration and administration of the project (20%).
The candidate is expected to write a Ph.D. in the context of the project.
The starting date is September 1, 2014; the position is for 34 months.
All candidates must posses:
- M.A. in Linguistics;
- solid grammatical background under consideration of the contemporary Phonological,
Morphological, Syntactic, or Semantic theories;
- experience in empirical methods (corpus studies or development of experiments);
- knowledge in the languages that are relevant for the project: Russian, Turkish, Urum, Greek, or
- experience in the research on language change or language contact.
How to apply:
Applications (with CV, publication list, a representative publication) should be addressed (preferably electronically in a single PDF-file) to:
Frau Juliana Diner, Universität Bielefeld at juliana.diner uni-bielefeld.de or:
Fakultät für Linguistik und Literaturwissenschaft
Postfach 10 01 31
Applications by disabled applicants are strongly encouraged. The Bielefeld University welcomes applications by women and deals with these applications in accordance with the state law for equality.
Prof. Dr. Stavros Skopeteas, Universität Bielefeld
|Application Mailing Address:||Ms Juliana Diner Universität Bielefeld Fakultät für Linguistik und Literaturwissenschaft Postfach 10 01 31 Bielefeld 33501 Germany|
|Contact Information:||Ms Juliana Diner firstname.lastname@example.org|