The LINGUIST List is dedicated to providing information on language and language analysis, and to providing the discipline of linguistics with the infrastructure necessary to function in the digital world. LINGUIST is a free resource, run by linguistics students and faculty, and supported primarily by your donations. Please support LINGUIST List during the 2016 Fund Drive.
University of Warwick, United Kingdom
Centre for Applied Linguistics
The DISCONEX research group 'The Discursive Construction of Academic Excellence. Classifying Academic Researchers in the Social Sciences and Humanities', led by Professor Johannes Angermuller (Centre for Applied Linguistics, University of Warwick), is looking for candidates for a funded PhD position at the crossroads of language and society.
DISCONEX studies academic discourse as a positioning and classifying practice of researchers, their everyday practices and tacit knowledges in the social sciences and humanities. By having recourse to pragmatics and constructivist theories in social research, the group places a particular emphasis on the social uses of academic publications.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The PhD project should focus on the discursive and social dynamics among researchers in the SSH in the English-speaking and possibly French- or German-speaking worlds. The group will offer a vibrant intellectual atmosphere in an international setting. The PhD project is one of the domains of the DISCONEX project under the supervision of Johannes Angermuller. A short presentation of DISCONEX can be found on website:
We do not study teaching-related discourse.
The position starts in January, 2015. The scholarship is for 3 years, and will pay an annual stipend (beginning at £13,726). Funding may be available for student fees, subject to eligibility.
This position is open to Home (EU) and Overseas applicants.
The successful applicant who is offered the DISCONEX studentship will subsequently need to submit a separate online application for PhD study to Warwick's Graduate School.
Candidates should have:
- master's degree (or equivalent), obtained by October 2014 e.g. in Discourse analysis, Pragmatics, or Linguistics (applications from adjacent backgrounds, such as Qualitative Social Research, Communication, Science and Technology Studies, and/or Sociology of Science are welcome);
- familiarity with at least one of the following academic systems: U.S., France, Germany, or UK;
- strong research orientation, international experience and interest in collaborative research;
- previous contribution to project-related tasks, such as data collection (interviews, documents, participant observation etc.) and analysis (written and oral discourse), workshops, conferences, publication of results;
- experience in participation in the activities of the DiscourseNet network - see website: http://www.discourseanalysis.net
- excellent command of English, and preferably, of German and French as well.
How to apply:
The application documents should be sent via email, a single pdf file to Ronny Scholz at disconex warwick.ac.uk , including the following documents:
- motivation letter laying out the reasons for applying to the DISCONEX group;
- research project (ca. 5 pages) with preliminary or developed ideas about the state of the research, research question, research object and method;
- curriculum vitae (CV);
- copies of diplomas and grades.
- two reference letters may be requested from academic teachers.
Please try to send in your application by the 15th of October 2014.
The quality of the proposal will be crucial for selecting the applicants. Candidates are invited to get in touch with Johannes Angermuller to discuss preliminary ideas. Travel costs for the interview cannot be reclaimed. Researchers on all levels interested in DISCONEX are welcome to get in touch with Johannes at this or later stages and to attend the workshops and DiscourseNet activities.
|Application Mailing Address:||Prof Johannes Angermuller University of Warwick Centre for Applied Linguistics Coventry CV4 7AL United Kingdom|
|Application Web Address:||http://www.johannes-angermuller.net/DISCONEX|
|Contact Information:||Dr Ronny Scholz email@example.com Phone:+44 24 765 73358|