|Program Name:||Department for General Linguistics - Master Linguistics|
|Alternate Name:||Institut für Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft - Master Sprachwissenschaft|
|Institution:||Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster|
|Application Deadline:||July 15, 2009|
|Contact Person:||Rene Schiering, Dr.|
|Program Size:||Medium (11-25 students)|
|Program Description:||* Start: fall semester 2008/2009, application deadline for WS09/10 is July 15 2009!
* Duration: 4 semesters
* Focus on research → ideal preparation for a doctoral program in linguistics.
* Combines a strong emphasis on naturalistic data with sophisticated methodological and theoretical reflection.
* Empirical → collection, analysis and storage of linguistic data (linguistic field work, descriptive linguistics, language documentation); this includes use of state-of-the-art technology.
* Theoretical → grammatical theory, linguistic typology, language universals research; a special focus is placed on the interfaces between social cognition, language structure and language use (discourse and conversation analysis, anthropological linguistics).
* Cross-linguistic approach: next to standard European languages, their non-standard varieties and especially non-European language play an important role in the program.
* Unlike in many other departments in Germany, all courses offered are exclusively for students pursuing a Master’s degree (no B.A. in Linguistics is offered at Münster).
* Small group size (at the most 15 students per year)
* Individual supervision and support by a faculty advisor throughout your entire course of studies.
|Add a new program|
|Update this program|
|Update a different program|