The LINGUIST List is dedicated to providing information on language and language analysis, and to providing the discipline of linguistics with the infrastructure necessary to function in the digital world. LINGUIST is a free resource, run by linguistics students and faculty, and supported by your donations. Please support LINGUIST List during the 2017 Fund Drive.
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
2016 University of Utah Student Conference in Linguistics (UUSCIL 2016)
Proposal Deadline: FRIDAY DECEMBER 11, 2015
Date: Friday, April 8, 2016
Location: The Jewel Box, CTIHB
Plenary Speaker: Bruce Hayes
Students in the Department of Linguistics at the University of Utah have been organizing a student conference in linguistics since 2001. The conference is intended to celebrate the wide breadth of issues taken up in theoretical and applied linguistics, including interdisciplinary approaches.
We invite undergraduate and graduate students of all levels to submit proposals on their original work in linguistics, including but not strictly limited to the content areas listed below. Undergraduate and graduate work in related fields may also be submitted. All proposals will be reviewed anonymously for quality and relevance.
● Paper (30 minutes): Papers will be given as a 20 minute presentation followed by a 10 minute Q&A period.
● Poster (60 minute session): The poster session provides a venue for poster presenters to share their research and engage in discussion with conference attendees.
Possible Content Areas
● Phonology and/or Phonetics
● Computational Linguistics
● Diachronic/Historical Linguistics
● Language Typology
● Language Documentation and Revitalization
● Language Planning and Policy
● Philosophy of Language
● Discourse Analysis
● L1 Acquisition
● L2/L3 Acquisition
● Language Pedagogy
● L2 Teacher Education
● Language Program Administration
● Speech-Language Pathology & Audiology
● All proposal submissions must include:
○ A title (10 word maximum)
○ Keywords (3-5)
○ A presentation description
● Abstracts must be limited to one page (12pt font, 1 inch margins, Arial or Times New Roman), with a second page available for references and data.Do NOT include identifying information in/on the abstract--all information should be entered into the submission form.
● Please submit proposals by completing the form linked http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/UUSCIL2016
How to Submit
All proposals must be received by 5:00 pm (Mountain time) on Friday, December 11, 2015.
● You will be able to submit all necessary contact information and presentation details through the linked form http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/UUSCIL2016
● If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact Catherine Showalter at firstname.lastname@example.org
● A maximum of two proposals may be submitted per person (one individual authorship and one co-authorship).
● An LCD projector and a VGA cord will be available for presentations. Presenters must provide any additional presentation equipment, such as tacks to hang posters, adapters for presenting from Mac computers, etc. A windows laptop with powerpoint is available by request.
● Posters should be professionally printed and may be in color or black and white. More information regarding poster formatting will be provided after acceptance notifications are sent.
● We will be publishing the papers presented at UUSCIL in a proceedings journal.
● Please contact Catherine Showalter at email@example.com with any questions or concerns about the proposal submission process.
University of Utah (The Jewel Box, CTIHB)
The UUSCIL 2016 will be held from 08-Apr-2016 to 08-Apr-2016.
Abstract Submission Information:
Abstracts can be submitted from 02-Nov-2015 until 01-Feb-2016.