Evelyn Richter (Eastern Michigan University)
I learned this recipe from Devaki Shamarayar. I might have modified it a bit over time for lack of ingredients or exact memory.
1 cup basmati rice
2 cups water
1 tsp channa dhal (type of lentils)
1/2 tsp black mustard
5-6 curry leaves (optional)
1 small green chili
1 pinch turmeric
Some salt to taste
Some oil for frying
Some fresh coriander leaves (optional)
1. Wash rice and boil with water, put aside to cool.
2. Cut chili into small pieces, wash & dry curry leaves, press out the juice of the lemon.
3. Heat oil in a pan.
4. Fry channa dhal until golden brown, add chili, curry leaves & mustard seeds, fry briefly.
5. Pour over cooled rice. Add turmeric, salt and lemon.
6. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.