LINGUIST List 17.1134|
Sat Apr 15 2006
Jobs: General Linguistics: Web Application Developer, CA
Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity, nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at http://linguistlist.org/posttolinguist.html
General Linguistics: Web Application Developer, Lexico Publishing Group LLC, CA, USA
Message 1: General Linguistics: Web Application Developer, Lexico Publishing Group LLC, CA, USA
From: Shannon Oswald <shannonlexico.com>
Subject: General Linguistics: Web Application Developer, Lexico Publishing Group LLC, CA, USA
University or Organization: Lexico Publishing Group LLC
Department: Information Technology
Job Rank: Web Application Developer
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Web Application Developer
Title: Developer, Web Application
Job Summary: Assists with development of Internet-, intranet-, or
extranet-based applications using experience with a variety of technologies
including, but not limited to, PHP, Perl, shell scripting, XHTML, CSS, XML,
modeling tools. Researches, tracks and understands new technologies and
security issues to provide technical guidance in developing applications.
Builds applications using mandated development tools. Provides written
design documents, test plans and test results. Integrates and implements
related applications components, including front-end development,
server-side development and database integration. Plays a direct role in
programming, maintenance, technical support, documentation and
administration of the applications. Assesses and communicates
standards to ensure continuity of applications. With approval, may work
with outside vendors in developing tests to ensure feature functionality.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop efficient, secure Web-based solutions for high-traffic web sites
- Implement and maintain Web services
- Create technical documentation as required
- Execute light IT duties (minimal time spent in this activity)
- Execute testing scenarios during pre-implementation phases, provide
written analysis and recommendations
- Ensure site content complies with quality assurance standards
- Adhere to company coding standards, practices and approaches
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Able to organize, prioritize and apply complex concepts to project tasks
- Able to communicate professionally
- Able to maintain a professional demeanor at all times, particularly when
interacting with external clients
- Required proficiency in utilizing PHP, Perl, shell scripting, XHTML, CSS,
- Preferred proficiency in RSS, Atom, WSDL, SOAP, RDF, WML/HDML, and PostgreSQL
- General knowledge of other related technologies
- Familiarity with document encoding formats, Unicode
- Proficiency with benchmarking, profiling, debugging, CVS
- Proficiency with Linux servers, Macintosh, Windows and Linux Workstations
- Ability to find simple solutions for solving complex problems
- Willingness to learn, teach, and pay close attention to details
- Ability to research, implement, and report in an articulate, professional
- Ability to work equally well in a team environment or solo setting
Education and/or Experience
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent degree/experience
- 3+ years experience in a Web production environment
- Strong foundation in PHP, Apache, Unix/Linux and task automation
Incumbent should be able to lift up to 25 pounds.
Incumbent should be able to utilize a computer, including keyboard, mouse,
and other desk work.
Position occasionally required to sit or stand for long periods of time.
Some travel required. Also, some long-distance travel occasionally required.
Address for Applications:
65 Pine Ave. #319
Long Beach, CA 90802
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $52,932. This money will go to help keep the
List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.
See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out our Fund Drive 2006
LINGUIST List Cruise for some Fund Drive fun!
There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!
You can donate right now using our secure credit card form.
Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later.
For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to donate by
check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:
The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as such can
receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered 501(c) Non Profit
organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These donations can be offset against
your federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only). For more
information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial advisor.
Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match any gift
you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your contacting your human
resources department and sending us a form that the EMU Foundation fills in and returns
to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative procedure that doubles the
value of your gift to LINGUIST, without costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment
to check if your company operates such a program.
Thank you very much for your support of LINGUIST!
Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.