LINGUIST List 17.2043|
Wed Jul 12 2006
Jobs: Various Languages & Comp Ling: Linguist, Voice Signal Technology
Editor for this issue: Amy Renaud
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been
set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
English; French; German, Standard; Italian; Portuguese; Spanish & Romance & Computational Linguistics: Linguist, Voice Signal Technology, Inc., MA, USA
Message 1: English; French; German, Standard; Italian; Portuguese; Spanish & Romance & Computational Linguistics: Linguist, Voice Signal Technology, Inc., MA, USA
From: Barbara Winer <bwinervoicesignal.com>
Subject: English; French; German, Standard; Italian; Portuguese; Spanish & Romance & Computational Linguistics: Linguist, Voice Signal Technology, Inc., MA, USA
University or Organization: Voice Signal Technology, Inc.
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics; Morphology;
Phonetics; Knowledge of Perl
Required Language(s): English (eng)
German, Standard (deu)
VoiceSignal, the leading developer of speech solutions for mobile devices,
is seeking an experienced Linguist to help us develop our multilingual
embedded speech technologies and applications. We are looking for a
Masters-level linguist with, preferably, prior experience in speech
applications. Candidates must have working knowledge of two or more western
European languages. Must also have some knowledge of Perl and its use for
linguistic purposes; be highly attentive to detail; and be able to
prioritize work based on project and language priorities. Candidates must
have good project management skills and experience managing multiple
simultaneous projects. This is a full-time position based at our
headquarters in Woburn, MA.
- Develop pronunciations for a variety of languages (English, Spanish,
French, Portuguese, German, Italian).
- Assist in lexical development and tokenization issues in a variety of
- Coordinate and manage transfer of new data to researchers.
- Collaborate on error analysis efforts with researchers.
- Assist with phonological analysis for a variety of languages.
- Prioritize and manage linguistic work for multiple simultaneous projects.
- Masters degree in Linguistics with emphasis on phonetics.
- Experience working with written/spoken language corpora.
- Experience working with lexica and tagged language corpora.
- Some fluency in script-like programming languages (e.g. Perl, Python).
- Proven ability to take a pragmatic approach to solving linguistic
problems and manage workflow.
- Near fluency of two or more of the following languages: French, German,
Spanish, Italian and/or Portuguese.
- Working knowledge of two or more of the following languages: French,
German, Spanish, Italian and/or Portuguese.
- Prior experience applying linguistic expertise in the speech technology
industry would be ideal.
We offer a competitive benefits package with an opportunity to directly
impact the success of the Company and embrace a diverse enviroment.
For consideration, please email (preferred), or fax your resume to:
Fax: (781) 970-5300
Address for Applications:
Voice Signal Technologies, Inc.
150 Presidential Way
Woburn, MA 01801
Application Deadline: 15-Sep-2006
Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.