From: Takashi Kumagai <tomiscatclassic.email.ne.jp>
Subject: The Preterit and the Present Perfect
Regarding query : in LINGUIST Issue: Vol-17-1993
Thank you for all the replies to my query regarding The present perfect as
the preterit and the present perfect with past time adverbials.
The results (preliminary stages):
-These are the sentences classified under adverbials with mean. (AE =
American English, Total = American English and Others.)
-The replies are 28 in AE and 15 in others including 5 in British English.
The replies of British English are only 5 which are fewer than I thought.
At present I include them in others.
-Questionnire constructs 23 questions with ‘Good’, ‘?’, ‘??’, ‘?*’, ‘*’. I
temporarily replace them with numeric. Good=5, ?=4, ??=3, ?*=2, *=1.
1. She already finished the work.（AE:4.75 ,Total:4.37）
8. Ellen already heard the news. （AE:4.68 ,Total:4.30）
14. Rainy wrote the memo already, and it is on your desk. （AE:4.61
21. Nash was already approached by several pro football teams. （AE:3.89
2. She just left the office. （AE:4.86 ,Total:4.67）
10. He just read all the reports. （AE:4.82 ,Total:4.70）
15. The department just mailed out 300,000 notices. （AE:4.93 ,Total:4.77）
19. I just went to Tokyo Station to see him off. （AE:4.79 ,Total:4.63）
5. I didn't see much of you recently. （AE:2.36 ,Total:2.23）
13. She recently joined the staff of the hotel. （AE:4.86 ,Total:4.74）
17. Salmon populations were severely depleted recently. （AE:4.71 ,Total:4.49）
23. Oil imports rose recently. （AE:4.96 ,Total:4.67）
4. We didn't yet receive a clear refusal of our offer. （AE:3.79 ,Total:3.51）
7. To my knowledge she didn't leave yet. （AE:3.82 ,Total:3.28）
11. If you didn't send in your payment yet, please do so immediately. （AE:
18. The data wasn't yet interpreted. （AE:3.79 ,Total:3.56）
Past time adverbials
3. I have seen John yesterday. （AE:1.96 ,Total:1.98）
6. Long ago I've given up that idea. （AE:2.18 ,Total:1.95）
9. He has left a few minutes ago. （AE:2.18 ,Total:2.14）
12. I have seen him ages ago. （AE:1.79 ,Total:1.77）
16. That problem has been solved long ago. （AE:2.89 ,Total:2.81）
20. I have seen Mary last night. （AE:1.89 ,Total:1.88）
22. I've just now received word that they've arrived safely. （AE:4.82
I can make it available upon query in the form of a primitive excel sheet.
Please tell your e-mail address to: excelenglishcafe.jp
And I continue these studies and I need more replies, especially British
English to compare it with AE. I would appreciate it if new repliers could
post to my query.
My query : http://www.englishcafe.jp/survey.html
Hokkaido University of Education, Hakodate campus.
Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue