LINGUIST List 17.2309|
Sat Aug 12 2006
Jobs: Chinese, Mandarin: Language Consultant, Voice Signal Technologies
Editor for this issue: Amy Renaud
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been
set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
Chinese, Mandarin: Mandarin Chinese Language Consultant, Voice Signal Technologies, Inc, MA, USA
Message 1: Chinese, Mandarin: Mandarin Chinese Language Consultant, Voice Signal Technologies, Inc, MA, USA
From: Barbara Winer <jobsvoicesignal.com>
Subject: Chinese, Mandarin: Mandarin Chinese Language Consultant, Voice Signal Technologies, Inc, MA, USA
University or Organization: Voice Signal Technologies, Inc
Department: International Product Management
Web Address: http://www.voicesignal.com
Specialty Areas: Text/Corpus Linguistics
Required Language(s): Chinese, Mandarin (cmn)
Language and Product Consultant: Mandarin Chinese
Voice Signal is looking for a native Mandarin Chinese speaker to help us
develop Mandarin versions of our speech recognition software for mobile
phones. VoiceSignal's innovative software is available in over twenty
languages and is deployed in mobile phones and used by millions of people
around the world.
Our Mandarin Chinese consultant will work with our linguists and
localization team on a variety of tasks, including the preparation of large
corpora of linguistic data (text and pronunciations). Candidates must be
native speakers of Mandarin Chinese, with high proficiency in written
Chinese (both simplified and traditional characters). Some knowledge of
linguistics is desired but not required. Familiarity with mobile phone
usage in China is strongly desired. We estimate that the project will
require 20-25 hours per week for approximately four months.
- Analyze written Chinese text for various phenomena.
- Research and source linguistic resources on the Internet.
- Help prepare recording scripts for recording native Mandarin speakers.
- Identify and supervise Mandarin voice talent.
- Fluent, native speaker of Mandarin Chinese.
- Proficiency in reading and writing Chinese (both simplified and
- Strong interest in the details of Mandarin grammar and vocabulary.
- Some expertise in linguistics is desired.
- English-to-Chinese translation experience is desired but not required.
- Familiarity with current use of mobile phones in China is strongly desired.
- Familiarity with cultural and linguistic characteristics of China is
- Excellent writing and communication skills; ability to document work
Please forward your resume and cover letter to via email or fax to:
Job Code: Mandarin Language Consultant
Address for Applications:
150 Presidential Way
Woburn, MA 01801
Application Deadline: 30-Sep-2006
Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.