LINGUIST List 17.3588|
Tue Dec 05 2006
Jobs: Phonetics & Comp Ling: Speech Performance Engineer, BeVocal, Inc
Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been
set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
Phonetics & Comp Ling: Speech Performance Engineer, BeVocal, Inc, CA, USA
Message 1: Phonetics & Comp Ling: Speech Performance Engineer, BeVocal, Inc, CA, USA
From: Human Resources <careersbevocal.com>
Subject: Phonetics & Comp Ling: Speech Performance Engineer, BeVocal, Inc, CA, USA
Organization: BeVocal, Inc
Department: Professional Services
Web Address: http://www.bevocal.com
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics
Required Language(s): English (eng)
BeVocal is looking for talented, passionate, ambitious and self-motivated people
to take on career-defining roles to help grow what is quickly becoming the
largest Internet-based self-service application network in the world. BeVocal's
powerful mobile voice and data applications answer, automate, and route customer
self-service interactions for leading communications service providers such as
Cingular Wireless, MetroPCS and Virgin Mobile, enabling them to achieve new
levels of service effectiveness and customer satisfaction. Our team of smart,
dynamic professionals tackles some of the toughest problems in the industry, and
develops innovative, award-winning products that make a difference in hundreds
of thousands of lives every day.
Our hiring strategy is simple: we look for energetic, innovative thinkers from
diverse backgrounds who thrive on intellectual challenges. BeVocal offers a
fast-paced environment where hard work and a fun atmosphere combine to create
outsized accomplishments. Founded in 1999, BeVocal is privately held,
profitable, and growing rapidly.
As a Speech Performance Engineer, you will be responsible for the quality of the
speech recognition in the voice user interfaces that meet our customer's goals
of reducing costs and increasing automation rates. You will also aid in the
design and development of improvements to our existing tuning and metrics
- Develop grammars and statistical models for our applications.
- Develop and apply best practices for grammar/model development, including
the use and development of reusable components.
- Work closely with voice user interface designers and software developers
to deliver optimized solutions.
- Optimize/tune speech recognition performance in applications through data
collection, analysis, and experimentation.
- Develop statistical test concepts, test designs, and test plans in a
- Design and drive the development of tools to aid in the analysis and
- Perform ongoing enhancements to the tuning infrastructure.
- BS/MS in Linguistics, CS, or Human-Computer Interaction (PhD a plus).
- At least 2 years exposure to speech recognition in industry or academic
- An advanced understanding of various speech recognition technologies
(ASR, TTS, NLP).
- Background and experience in quantitative usability analysis.
- Technical skills in one or more of the following: Java, Perl, JSP, SQL,
- Ability to manage tasks and deliverables for simultaneous projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work well both independently and within a team.
For immediate consideration, please email your resume to careersbevocal.com and
include 'Speech Performance Engineer ' in the subject line of your email.
Principals only please (no 3rd parties or agencies).
BeVocal's policy is to comply with all applicable laws and to provide equal
employment opportunity for all applicants and employees without regard to
non-job-related factors such as race, color, religion, sex, national origin,
ancestry, age, disability, veteran status, marital status or sexual orientation.
This policy applies to all areas of employment, including recruitment, hiring,
training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfer, and social and
Application Deadline: 31-Jan-2007
Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.