LINGUIST List 18.2746|
Sat Sep 22 2007
Jobs: General Linguistics: Linguist I, Sensory, Inc.
Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been
set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
General Linguistics: Linguist I, Sensory, Inc, Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Message 1: General Linguistics: Linguist I, Sensory, Inc, Sunnyvale, CA, USA
From: Kim Huynh <khuynhsensoryinc.com>
Subject: General Linguistics: Linguist I, Sensory, Inc, Sunnyvale, CA, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Sensory, Inc.
Department: Service Department
Web Address: http://sensoryinc.com/
Job Rank: Linguist I
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics
Do you have a degree in Linguistics and like to travel?
Seeking entry-level Linguist for data collection. Must be business
oriented, responsible, organized and an independent worker. Must also be a
fast learner and have keen attention to detail.
- Recruit participants and organizations for domestic and international
- Schedule recording sessions in multiple countries.
- Work with speech technologists to define and write specifications for
data collection protocols.
- Record participants using set protocols.
- Ensure that environment and set up are ideal for producing quality
- Assist in hiring contractors for orthographic transcription.
- Review and prepare recordings and transcripts for acoustic model training.
- Research and acquire resources needed to develop ASR & TTS engines.
(Identify existing databases and lexicons for ASR training use. Negotiate
terms and agreements with source.)
- Assist in maintaining existing lexicons and speech data.
1-3 years total job experience with demonstrated interest in linguistics.
- Fluency in at least one foreign language.
- Excellent understanding of phonological and phonetic concepts.
- Ability to transcribe in IPA.
- Ability to interpret spectrograms.
- Computer literate (windows, DOS) and experience with MS Office applications.
- Ability to work independently.
- Audio editing experience.
- Experience making recordings and working with audio hardware.
- Experience using tools such as Audition, Peak, Sound Forge, or Praat.
- Knowledge of WorldBet or SAMPA.
- Programming skills a plus but not required.
BA / BS in Linguistics
To apply, please indicate the job code you are interested in and email your
cover letter and resume in MS Word or ASCII text format to the email
address listed below.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Email Address for Applications: jobssensoryinc.com
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.