LINGUIST List 19.735|
Wed Mar 05 2008
Jobs: General Ling: Executive Director, Linguistic Society of America
Editor for this issue: Luiza Newlin Lukowicz
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been
set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
General Linguistics: Executive Director, Linguistic Society of America, Washington, DC, USA
Message 1: General Linguistics: Executive Director, Linguistic Society of America, Washington, DC, USA
From: Katha Kissman <kkissmanlsadc.org>
Subject: General Linguistics: Executive Director, Linguistic Society of America, Washington, DC, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Linguistic Society of America
Web Address: http://www.lsadc.org
Job Rank: Executive Director
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics
Reporting to the Executive Committee via its elected President, the
Executive Director has overall responsibility for the day-to-day operations
of the Society. These include working with the Executive Committee on
setting the strategic direction and directing the programmatic, financial
and management operations of the organization.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Working in collaboration with and supporting the Executive Committee on
matters of governance, mission, and institutional strategies;
- With the Secretary-Treasurer, actively managing the financial matters,
operational issues and staff, outsourced contractors, volunteers, interns
of the organization including strategic and business planning, as well as
financial management and budgeting;
- Implementing effective publications, programs and services for the
membership including the oversight, implementation and support of a major
Annual Meeting, a biennial Linguistic Institute and Fellowships program; a
biennial Summer Meeting; the journal, Language; and the online journal
- Supporting the various committees of the Society as needed;
- Overseeing the quality, timeliness, accuracy, and features of the
- Playing a key role in generating revenues for the organization, including
membership development, government and foundation grants, and individual
and planned giving opportunities;
- Promoting higher public awareness and visibility for the instruction and
research of language in our society; and
- Leading the efforts of the Linguistic Society of America in building
partnerships and coalitions with other organizations;
- B.A./B.S.; Advanced degree desirable
- Experience as an administrator in an academic setting highly desirable
- 5-10 years previous experience in nonprofit management.
- The desire, capacity, and ability to be a very hands-on manager.
- A demonstrated ability to actively manage and appropriately steward
finances and other resources of the society
- Demonstrated record of accomplishment, respect and recognition in
previous leadership positions.
- Ability to inspire and manage staff, volunteers and members to accomplish
the work of the Society.
- An understanding of and commitment to successful membership services; a
positive customer-service attitude.
- An understanding of and commitment to successful meeting planning and
- Strong computer literacy to manage and initiate leading-edge
technological advances on behalf of the membership.
- A critical and analytical thinker with strong organizational planning and
financial management skills. Demonstrated intellectual curiosity.
- Demonstrated successful track record in grant solicitation/management
from government, foundations and individual donors.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. The successful candidate
must be charismatic, persuasive and credible to a wide variety of audiences
with a special sensitivity to and understanding of the academic environment.
- High energy, self-directive, flexible, full of stamina and with a strong
- A high degree of self-confidence combined with a flexible ego.
Compensation for this position is competitive.
Start Date: May 5, 2008
Please respond with a letter of interest and resume. No phone calls, please.
The Linguistic Society of America is an equal opportunity employer.
Application Deadline: 19-Mar-2008
Mailing Address for Applications:
ED Search Linguistic Society of America
Archibald Hill Suite
1325 18th Street
NW Suite 211
Washington, US 20036
Web Address for Applications: http://www.lsadc.org
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.