LINGUIST List 20.408|
Mon Feb 09 2009
Support: Anthro Ling; Lang Acquisition: PhD Student, Tilburg University
Editor for this issue: Luiza Newlin Lukowicz
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
Anthropological Linguistics; Language Acquisition: PhD Student, Tilburg University, Netherlands
Message 1: Anthropological Linguistics; Language Acquisition: PhD Student, Tilburg University, Netherlands
From: Paul Vogt <p.a.vogtuvt.nl>
Subject: Anthropological Linguistics; Language Acquisition: PhD Student, Tilburg University, Netherlands
E-mail this message to a friend
Institution/Organization: Tilburg University
Web Address: http://www.tilburguniversity.nl
Job Rank: PhD
Specialty Areas: Anthropological Linguistics; Cognitive Science; Language Acquisition
4 years, full-time
Intended starting date: August 1, 2009
The Ph.D. researcher will collaborate with Dr. Paul Vogt on the project
'Cultural and social aspects of multimodal interaction in language acquisition
(CASA MILA)'. This project is concerned with the relation between joint
attentional usage and infants' first language acquisition. The project consists
of roughly two phases:
1. The collection of quantitative data on joint attention and multimodal
interactions between caregivers and infants (9-24 months old) during field trips
to Mozambique and the Netherlands.
2. The incorporation of these data in computer simulations on language evolution.
For a summary of the project proposal, see http://www.paul-vogt.nl.
The successful candidate will have the following tasks:
- Prepare and perform empirical research on joint attention and child language
acquisition within the CASA MILA project.
- Carry out fieldwork in Mozambique and in the Netherlands.
- Publish and present the results at international scientific conferences and in
- Write a dissertation.
It is required to spend one period of 8 Months in 2010 and one of 2 Months in
2011 in Maputo (Mozambique), but the Ph.D. researcher will be based at Tilburg
University for the remainder of the appointment.
He or she will have the following profile:
- An M.A. or M.Sc. in (Linguistic/Psychological) Anthropology, (Developmental)
Psychology, Psycholinguistics, Linguistics, Cognitive Science or related subject.
- Highly motivated and autonomous with good contactual skills
- Proven research experience regarding child language acquisition or
developmental psychology (Experience with carrying out ethnographic fieldwork is
- An excellent command of oral and written English
- A good command of Dutch and Portuguese (also Spanish/Italian/French or
Changana/Tsonga are acceptable) or the willingness to learn Dutch and/or Portuguese
For more information about the post and details on how to apply please contact
dr. Paul Vogt via email or consult http://www.paul-vogt.nl.
Applications Deadline: 15-Apr-2009
Web Address for Applications: http://ilk.uvt.nl/~paul/phd-09-02.html
Vogt Paul Vogt
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.