LINGUIST List 21.245|
Fri Jan 15 2010
Jobs: East Asian Lang & General Ling: Linguist, Nuance Communications
Editor for this issue: Erica Wicks
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been
set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
Chinese, Mandarin; Vietnamese; Korean; Japanese & Computational Linguistics, General Linguistics, Lexicography, Text/corpus Linguistics: Linguist, Nuance Communications, Inc.
Message 1: Chinese, Mandarin; Vietnamese; Korean; Japanese & Computational Linguistics, General Linguistics, Lexicography, Text/corpus Linguistics: Linguist, Nuance Communications, Inc.
From: Alex Hurst <Alexander.Hurstgmail.com>
Subject: Chinese, Mandarin; Vietnamese; Korean; Japanese & Computational Linguistics, General Linguistics, Lexicography, Text/corpus Linguistics: Linguist, Nuance Communications, Inc.
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Nuance Communications, Inc.
Web Address: http://www.nuance.com/
Job Rank: Linguist
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics; Lexicography; Text/Corpus Linguistics
Required Language(s): Chinese, Mandarin (cmn)
Nuance Communications, Inc., a world-wide leader in speech technology, is
seeking a full-time linguist to support expansion of its mobile search and
messaging products into East Asian language markets.
Candidates for this position should be located either in North America or
- Evaluating design and quality of pronunciation dictionaries
- Identifying new entries for general and specialized dictionaries
- Correcting existing dictionary entries
- Phonetic transcription
- Serving as a language expert resource for engineers and researchers
- Managing language consultant contractors
LANGUAGE SKILL REQUIREMENTS
English: native or near-native skill
Native or near-native skill and literacy in at least one of the following:
- Mandarin Chinese
A high level of proficiency and literacy in at least one of the following:
- A second language from the list above
- A post-graduate degree in linguistics
- Experience with phonetic transcription and the International Phonetic
- Ability to work independently
- Basic knowledge of Unix/Linux (navigating directory structures, copying
- Familiarity with a text editor (e.g. emacs or vi)
- Ability to program in a scripting language (e.g. Perl or Python)
- Expertise in medicine, law, or technology
- Team leadership and/or management experience
To apply, please submit your resume or CV and a brief statement describing
your experience and abilities to the email address below. We will consider
only electronic submissions. No phone calls, please.
The position may be filled before the specified date if a qualified
applicant is found.
Application Deadline: 31-Jan-2010
Email Address for Applications: lm.linguisticsnuance.com
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.