LINGUIST List 21.2732|
Sun Jun 27 2010
Jobs: Korean & Phonetics: Consultant / Contract Phonetician, Gracenote
Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity, nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at http://linguistlist.org/posttolinguist.cfm
Korean & Phonetics, IPA Knowledge: Consultant / Contract Phonetican (Korean Language), Gracenote
Message 1: Korean & Phonetics, IPA Knowledge: Consultant / Contract Phonetican (Korean Language), Gracenote
From: Sarah Feinman <jobsgracenote.com>
Subject: Korean & Phonetics, IPA Knowledge: Consultant / Contract Phonetican (Korean Language), Gracenote
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Gracenote
Web Address: http://www.gracenote.com/company_info/careers/
Job Rank: Consultant
Specialty Areas: Phonetics; IPA knowlege
Required Language(s): Korean (kor)
PHONETICIAN - 2+ month contract position (20-40 hours/week)
(Native Speaking Korean Phonetician/Linguist)
Gracenote is a global leader in the space of digital media recognition,
management, enjoyment, and discovery. We are looking for a Phonetician to
help maintain and expand our media-related speech command and control
product (MediaVOCS) for PC, embedded (Consumer Electronics and Mobile)
and on-line platforms, as we continue to expand our current offering, the
MediaVOCS product, into more markets to provide our customers a truly
It is a great opportunity for an expert in linguistics, phonetics and speech
technologies to participate in enhancements to our MediaVOCS product in an
environment that exhibits the pace and energy of a start-up within a proven
and disciplined content and product organization. This individual will
contribute to the content creation and maintenance process that drives
MediaVOCS and work closely with the Content Team and Product
Management Team to ensure that MediaVOCS continues to enable an
industry leading speech-operated user interface.
- Review and edit Gracenote international speech data
- Assist in the maintenance and development of Gracenote's linguistic
processing of speech content
- Interact with Content team to develop standards for content review
based upon analysis of content review.
- Work with Gracenote phonetic experts to improve cross-language
Education & Experience
- BS/BA degree in Linguistics, Computer Science or equivalent.
- 1-3 years of experience in speech software solutions or phonetic data
editing is preferred.
- International experience is a plus, especially Japan, Korea, China or
Skills & Knowledge
- Understanding and experience with phonetics and phonology
- Fluency in one or more phonetic alphabets such as the International
Phonetic Alphabet (IPA), X-SAMPA, Kirshenbaum, etc.
- Ability to learn phonetic and phonological characteristics for languages
other than English
- Knowledge of foreign languages is a plus.
- Native Speaking Korean Phonetician/Linguist preferred
- Partial or total literacy in non-Roman written languages like Chinese,
Arabic, or Cyrillic a big plus.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to communicate effectively and authoritatively in the areas
of speech software applications that enable speech-operated command and
control digital music and media. Strong relevant experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of digital music software, Internet services and/or consumer
electronics a plus.
- Knowledge of entertainment media metadata and information
architecture principles is a plus.
- Local candidates preferred
- Should have own laptop/computer running Windows XP or 7 NOT Vista
- Knowledge of popular music is a plus
- Professional and strong team player that thrives in a rapid-paced and
fluid entrepreneurial environment
- Genuine passion for Music, Movies, TV, and the visual arts
Gracenote, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America, is a
global leader in embedded technology, enriched content, and data services
for digital entertainment solutions within the Internet, consumer electronics,
mobile, and automotive markets.
For further consideration, please apply directly to our website at
Web Address for Applications: http://www.gracenote.com/company_info/careers/
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 27-Jun-2010
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.