LINGUIST List 21.3581|
Fri Sep 10 2010
Jobs: Various Lang, Gen Ling & Lexicography: Linguist, Nuance Comm, Inc
Editor for this issue: Erin Smith
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity, nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at http://linguistlist.org/posttolinguist.cfm
Chinese, Mandarin; Chinese, Yue; German, Standard & General Linguistics and Lexicography: Linguist, Nuance Communications, Inc.
Message 1: Chinese, Mandarin; Chinese, Yue; German, Standard & General Linguistics and Lexicography: Linguist, Nuance Communications, Inc.
From: lm linguistics <lm.linguisticsnuance.com>
Subject: Chinese, Mandarin; Chinese, Yue; German, Standard & General Linguistics and Lexicography: Linguist, Nuance Communications, Inc.
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Nuance Communications, Inc.
Job Location: , ----------------
Web Address: http://www.nuance.com/
Job Rank: Linguist
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Lexicography
Required Language(s): Chinese, Mandarin (cmn)
German, Standard (deu)
Chinese, Yue (yue)
Nuance Communications, Inc., a world-wide leader in speech technology, is
seeking a part-time language consultant to enhance our language
dictionaries in one of the above languages.
All work will be done off-site (e.g. at your home).
- Evaluating and correcting dictionary entries
- Identifying new entries for general and specialized dictionaries.
- Writing phonetic transcriptions for new and existing entries.
- Serving as language expert resource for engineers and researchers.
- Native fluency in German, Mandarin or Cantonese
- For the Chinese position: knowledge of both Simplified and Traditional
- Completion or near-completion of undergraduate degree in linguistics.
- Knowledge of International Phonetic Alphabet or SAMPA.
- Ability to work independently.
- Up-to-date computer, preferably Windows.
- Home internet connection.
- A high level of proficiency in English.
- Expertise in medicine, law, or technology.
- Knowledge of UNIX.
- For the Chinese position, knowledge of Japanese or Korean is a plus.
- Ability to program in a scripting language.
An average of 10 hours per week of work over a period of 6 months is needed
for the German project.
A minimum of 20 hours per week of work over a period of 6 months is needed
for the Chinese Mandarin-Cantonese project.
To apply, please submit your resume or CV and a brief statement describing
your experience and abilities to the application email address listed
below. We will consider only electronic submissions. No phone calls, please.
Application Deadline: Sept 20, 2010
(Positions may be filled before that date if qualified applicants are found.)
Application Deadline: 30-Sep-2010
Email Address for Applications: lm.linguisticsnuance.com
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 10-Sep-2010
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.