LINGUIST List 21.841|
Thu Feb 18 2010
Jobs: Sociolinguistics: Assistant Professor, University of Groningen
Editor for this issue: Christy Bird
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been
set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
Sociolinguistics: Assistant Professor, University of Groningen, Netherlands
Message 1: Sociolinguistics: Assistant Professor, University of Groningen, Netherlands
From: Anna Hausdorf <u.b.hausdorfrug.nl>
Subject: Sociolinguistics: Assistant Professor, University of Groningen, Netherlands
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: University of Groningen
Department: Frisian Language and Culture
Job Location: Groningen, Netherlands
Web Address: http://www.rug.nl/let/index
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Sociolinguistics
The Faculty of Arts of the University of Groningen is looking for a:
University Lecturer in Sociolinguistics
(O.8 FTE) Vacancy number 210087
Closing date: 15 March 2010
Starting date: 1 August 2010
The Faculty of Arts of the University of Groningen is looking for a
university lecturer (0.8 FTE) for the department of Frisian Language and
Culture. We are looking for an enthusiastic and versatile new colleague
with a sociolinguistics profile, who can actively contribute to the
teaching and research programme in the field of Frisian as a European
minority language and the problems of multilinguality.
The department is responsible for the Bachelor's and Master's degree
programmes in Frisian Language and Culture. The research programme is
organized by the Centre for Language and Cognition Groningen (CLCG),
affiliated with the national Research School in Linguistics.
Duties associated with the position:
- Teaching (60%) and supervising theses in the field of sociolinguistics
within the full-time and part-time degree programmes in Frisian Language
and Culture (Bachelor's and Master's levels) as well as in related degree
programmes within the Faculty of Arts.
- Conducting research (40%), publishing nationally and internationally and
(jointly) initiating international research projects.
- Playing an active and inspiring role in the organization of teaching and
research, including administrative duties related to the teaching.
- Helping to design and flesh out an English-taught Master's degree
programme on 'Multilinguality' at the University Campus Fryslân in Leeuwarden.
- A completed PhD in the relevant field
- National and international research, as demonstrated by postdoctoral
and/or international experience as well as publications in addition to the
- A research theme and approach that contribute to the profile of the
Department of Frisian Language and Culture in teaching and research.
- We have in mind a candidate with the following research and teaching
* Specialist in the field of multilingualism, particularly within European
minority languages areas
* Familiarity with the themes of language systems, language situations
and social variation within minority language areas
- Highly recommended:
* Knowledge of Frisian (and/or willingness to learn Frisian)
* Familiarity with the language situation in Friesland
- An interdisciplinary approach
- Experience with teaching of all types and at various levels as well as
being prepared to undertake teaching duties outside the own specialist
field and to follow refresher courses if necessary.
- Oral and written skills in English.
- Excellent social, communicative, administrative and organizational skills.
For more information about the terms of employment, please visit
For further information about this job vacancy, please contact
Prof. Goffe Jensma (professor of Frisian), contact information below, or
Anna Hausdorf (degree programme coordinator) at u.b.hausdorfrug.nl
Your letter should be submitted before 16 March 2010 and accompanied by:
1) your curriculum vitae
2) a list of publications
3) the full addresses (including e-mail and telephone numbers) of two
people who are prepared to supply additional relevant information
Application Deadline: 15-Mar-2010
Mailing Address for Applications:
University of Groningen
Human Resource Management
P.O. Box 72
Groningen 9700 AB
Email Address for Applications: vmprug.nl
Prof. dr. Goffe Jensma
Phone: (+31) (0)50 363 8836
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.