LINGUIST List 22.3252|
Mon Aug 15 2011
Jobs: NLP: Senior Research Engineer, Nuance Communications
Editor for this issue: Kristen Dunkinson
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to engage in non-discriminatory hiring practices. We urge employers not to discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity, nationality, disability, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at http://linguistlist.org/posttolinguist.cfm
1. Recruitment Team ,
Natural Language Processing: Senior Research Engineer, Nuance Communications, MA, USA
Message 1: Natural Language Processing: Senior Research Engineer, Nuance Communications, MA, USA
From: Recruitment Team <careersnuance.com>
Subject: Natural Language Processing: Senior Research Engineer, Nuance Communications, MA, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Nuance Communications
Job Location: Massachusetts, USA
Web Address: http://www.nuance.com
Job Rank: Senior Research Engineer
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Natural Language Processing
As a contributing member of Nuance, you will work within a dynamic team
environment to develop, support, market and sell our award-winning software
applications. We offer competitive compensation packages; including stock
options, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, 401(k), full health and welfare
benefits and a challenging technical but casual work environment. Join our
dynamic, entrepreneurial team that operates worldwide (Europe, US, Canada,
APAC). Be a part of our fast growing track of continuing success.
Nuance is an equal opportunity employer.
- Computer scientist in the Heathcare Research organization working on a
state of the art evidence based medicine and clinical decision support
system in collaboration with IBM based on the Watson technology.
- Major duty is to conduct research on applying Watson technology to
Nuance Healthcare applications, run experiments, perform error analysis,
engage with Nuance Watson Core team, IBM Watson JDA team and Nuance
application development teams.
- Research objective is to build a state of the art evidence based medical
decision support system as part of the Nuance DeepQA healthcare team in
collaboration with IBM Research.
- This research will focus on how to transform the IBM Watson DeepQA
Question and Answer architecture to applications in healthcare. Therefore this
position will be responsible for conducting research on these aspects of
Watson technology: semantic analysis, candidate answer generation and
(evidence) scoring and error analysis.
- This research will focus on using traditional medical data (text books, web
resources) as well as de-identified data from real case studies, which requires
techniques that scale across non-homogeneous information sources.
- This research is to be conducted in the context of building a scalable,
commercializable medical decision support systems on top of available in-
house resources and technologies - such as Ontologies, parsers, taggers etc.
- This work will involve identifying weaknesses of existing components and
improving them, as well as inventing new algorithms to enable the system to
automatically learn from user feedback in a production environment.
- There is also an opportunity to make the system robust to errors in system
input, such those introduced by speech recognition systems while converting
speech to text.
1) Number of Years of Work Experience: 3+
2) Required Skills:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience conducting research in one or more of
these areas is required: statistical natural language processing, spoken
language translation and information retrieval. Research experience in
graduate school or post-doctoral position is acceptable.
- In addition to the above, research exposure in one of these areas is
required: machine learning, stochastic parsing, semantic tagging and
confidence estimation techniques.
- Programming experience in one of these languages is required: JAVA,
C++, PERL, Python.
- Bash/Unix scripting skills are required
3) Preferred Skills:
- SQL or other Database knowledge is highly desirable
- Experience in medical text analytics and/or clinical information retrieval is a
- Experience working with UMLS components (MeSH, Specialist etc) is a
- Experience working with UIMA a definite PLUS
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, Electrical
Engineering or equivalent
Application Deadline: 15-Nov-2011
Web Address for Applications: http://jobs-nuance.icims.com/jobs/6595/job
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 15-Aug-2011
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.