LINGUIST List 22.4346
Wed Nov 02 2011
Software: Speak Everywhere: An Online Service for Linguists
Editor for this issue: Justin Petro
1. Atsushi Fukada ,
Speak Everywhere: An Online Service for Linguists
Message 1: Speak Everywhere: An Online Service for Linguists
From: Atsushi Fukada <afukadapurdue.edu>
Subject: Speak Everywhere: An Online Service for Linguists
E-mail this message to a friend
The Center for Technology-Enhanced Language Learning at Purdue Universityis pleased to announce the availability of Speak Everywhere, an onlinespeaking practice/assessment platform.
This service may be of interest to the following groups of people.
- Language Instructors can use the service in their courses to dramaticallyincrease speaking practice opportunities for their students. It can be usedto deliver oral tests as well.
- Language Laboratory Directors can use the system to provide an oralpractice/assessment platform for language instructors.
- Second Language Acquisition Researchers working on oral languagedevelopment can use the service to collect oral data: e.g. an interlanguagepragmatics researcher can use a video clip as a cue to elicit an oral response.
- Corpus Linguists can use the service to collect large amounts of oralproductions to compile spoken language corpora.
- Language Textbook Authors/Publishers can use the service to create a'speaking program' (as opposed to an audio program) to accompany theirtextbooks. Pronunciation and phonetics textbooks should benefit greatlyfrom it.
For inquiries, email Dr. Atsushi Fukada (afukadapurdue.edu) or use theInquiry/Support link of the above-mentioned website.
I will be giving a one-hour presentation on the system on Sunday, November20 at this year's ACTFL conference in Denver.
Page Updated: 02-Nov-2011