LINGUIST List 23.2670|
Mon Jun 11 2012
Jobs: Field Linguistics; Morphology; Syntax; Spell-out: Post Doc, iLanguage Lab LTD
Editor for this issue: Svetlana Tchistiakova
New! Visit LL's Multitree project for over 1000 trees dynamically generated from scholarly hypotheses about language relationships:
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to engage in non-discriminatory hiring practices. We urge employers not to discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity, nationality, disability, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at http://linguistlist.org/posttolinguist.cfm
From: Hisako Noguchi <jobsilanguage.ca>
Subject: Field Linguistics; Morphology; Syntax; Spell-out: Post Doc, iLanguage Lab LTD, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: iLanguage Lab LTD
Job Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Web Address: http://ilanguage.ca/about
Job Rank: Post Doc
Specialty Areas: Field Linguistics; General Linguistics; Morphology; Syntax; Spell-Out
iLanguage Lab LTD is offering a one-year Postdoctoral field linguistics position in our
MorphoParser project, a language-independent semi-unsupervised machine
learning algorithm for morphological segmentation of agglutinative languages.
A Postdoc at iLanguage Lab is a unique opportunity for recent graduates to
immerse themselves in project management and machine languages before
taking on an academic position. iLanguage Lab encourages its researchers to
publish results in the top venues and provides travel funding towards this
Candidates must have a Ph.D degree in Theoretical Linguistics at the time of
the appointment. More than a year of experience in field work is essential
for this position, as is fluency in English or French, and one additional spoken
Working with us you will learn:
- Version control (Git)
- Issue tracking and Open Project Management (GitHub, Redmine)
- Software Engineering (on time, on budget, on specification)
- Scripting Languages (Praat, Bash, R)
- Time saving techniques for data crunching (Regular Expressions, Unix
- BigData techniques on sparse data (NoSQL, Map-reduce, cloud computing
The Postdoc will join our Machine Learning team and take on responsibility
for crowd-sourcing/gamification of our open gold standard morphological
segmentation corpus using the Android platform. Candidates are expected to
use the Postdoc position to continue their previous theoretical research using
the tools and techniques they will acquire while at iLanguage.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Learn and improve skills in software design and programming as the crowd-
sourcing/gamification project manager.
- Design workshops and screencast tutorials to transfer the knowledge about
computational linguistic tools and techniques into tools for
- Create screencasts and blog in either English or French, and at least one
- Generate grass-roots efforts to preserve minority languages by encouraging
informants and community members to blog or vlog.
Other criteria for a successful candidate include:
- 1+ years of teaching experience (original course materials).
- Publications including original data in academic journals.
- Some knowledge of Natural Language Processing techniques.
- Experience in OpenData and OpenSource.
- Experience with data management.
- Familiarity with regular expressions.
- 3+ years of experience with Unix/Linux or Mac operating systems and shell
- Proficiency in a mark-up language (HTML, LaTeX, XML)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including new media such
as blogging and screencast tutorials.
- Strong ability to work collaboratively and drive an original research agenda.
- A research project which can benefit from the use of social web/mobile
technology to allow minority language speakers to have access to information
in their languages.
To apply, please send CV, research project (2 pages maximum), a
recommendation letter, and a motivation letter to the email address included
below. Preference is given to applicants who have prior OpenSource and
OpenData experience and/or familiarity with the Android platform. The
application is open until filled. The position is expected to begin on
September 1st, 2012.
The iLanguage Lab seeks to put FieldLinguistics into the pockets of
consumers by building productivity tools and plugins which adapt to the
Application Deadline: 01-Jul-2012
Email Address for Applications: jobsilanguage.ca
Web Address for Applications: http://ilanguage.ca/jobs.html
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 11-Jun-2012
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.