LINGUIST List 23.5370
Thu Dec 20 2012
Support: Historical Linguistics, Amerindian Languages: PhD Student, Universiteit Leiden, Germany
Editor for this issue: Brent Miller
Merel van Wijk <m.m.van.wijk
Historical Linguistics, Amerindian Languages: PhD Student, Universiteit Leiden, Germany
E-mail this message to a friend
Web Address: http://www.lucl.nl
Duties: Research,Teaching,Project Work
Specialty Areas: Historical Linguistics
The Leiden University Centre for Linguistics (LUCL) of the Faculty of Humanities is hosting a research programme entitled “The Linguistic Past of Mesoamerica and the Andes: A search for early migratory relations between North and South America”, funded by the European Research Council (ERC Advanced Grant). This programme focuses on the identification of linguistic, genetic and archaeological relations between Mesoamerica and the Middle Andes before European contact. It is conducted in collaboration with the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig (Germany).
- Conducting original research (including field research and archival research) on the following topic: Analysis and historical development of the Purépecha language (Michoacán, Mexico); its external genetic connections and its historical contact relations.
- Acquiring familiarity with traditional and innovative techniques in historical linguistic comparison.
- Writing a PhD thesis.
- Submitting research results for publication in peer-reviewed academic journals.
- Presenting papers at (international) conferences.
- Some teaching in the second and third year of the appointment.
- Organizing and participating in reading and discussion groups, seminars, workshops within LUCL and at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig.
- A Master or equivalent degree in linguistics or a related field (completion of the MA thesis before the PhD project starts).
- Demonstrable affinity with historical linguistics and with indigenous languages of the Americas.
- A curious, enterprising, and creative mind and excellent analytical skills, evidence of which should emerge from the MA thesis.
- Good writing skills.
- A very good and demonstrable command of English.
- Fluency in Spanish recommended.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
More information and how to apply on: http://werkenbij.leidenuniv.nl/vacatures/phd-posities/12-301-phd-student-in-historical-linguistics-of-the-amerindian-languages.html
Applications Deadline: 01-Feb-2013
Web Address for Applications: http://werkenbij.leidenuniv.nl/vacatures/phd-posities/12-301-phd-student-in-historical-linguistics-of-the-amerindian-languages.html
Prof. W.F.H. Adelaar
Page Updated: 20-Dec-2012