LINGUIST List 24.2750
Mon Jul 08 2013
Calls: General Linguistics/Portugal
Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee
Summer School Office <graduateconference
Pedro Hispano Lisbon Graduate Conference
E-mail this message to a friend
Full Title: Pedro Hispano Lisbon Graduate Conference
Short Title: LxS
Date: 13-Sep-2013 - 16-Sep-2013
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Contact Person: Andreia Teixeira
Meeting Email: < click here to access email >
Web Site: http://fcsh.unl.pt/phd/conference
Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics
Call Deadline: 31-Jul-2013
The conference aims at encouraging the share and discussion of preliminary versions of papers produced by doctoral students. As an issue-based rather than discipline-specific event, it was designed to contribute to scientific interdisciplinary and cross-fertilisation both across the social sciences and humanities and between these and other fields of knowledge.
The conference will be held on September 13 and 16, 2013, as part of the LxS - Lisbon Summer School in Science and Culture. Participants in the graduate conference are encouraged to attend at least one of the courses of the summer school.
The conference will be structured in 90-minute panels, to be set around common themes after the selection of papers. A special panel will focus on ‘Language Hegemony’, which is the topic of one of the courses of the LxS.
September 13, 2013
1. Language Hegemony
2. Social Policies
3. Global Changes and Urban-Rural Dynamics
September 16, 2013
4. Cultural Policies
5. Port Cities
Call for Papers:
PhD candidates from any higher education institution working on topics within, or in relation with, the social sciences and humanities are invited to present a paper to the second edition of the Pedro Hispano Lisbon Graduate Conference.
Each panel has a chair and a discussant (faculty members, senior researchers or post-doctoral fellows) and is composed of no more than four paper presentations lasting up to 15 minutes each.
1. Applicants may present at most one co-authored paper and one single-authored paper.
2. Papers should be written either in English, Portuguese, French, or Spanish, and not exceed 10,000 words (including footnotes and reference list).
3. Authors should comply with the following formatting rules:
Body text: Times New Roman 12, 1.5 paragraph space, justified
Footnotes: Notes should come in the footer with sequential Arabic numerals. Times New Roman 10, single space paragraph, justified.
Quotations: Quotations of more than 40 words should be indented; Times New Roman, 10. The complete list of ‘Sources and References’ should be included in the final texts. References should be listed in alphabetical order of surnames of the authors and should not exceed the number of twenty.
4. Citations (author-date system) and bibliographic references should conform to the general guidelines of the Chicago Manual of Style, available at http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/tools_citationguide.html
5. PhD students willing to participate should fill the form available at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1djQSSV2B0bDNMkYSJwWe9EVx4XcrqxttbZDvy3hU-m4/viewform?pli=1
no later than July 31, 2013. A short CV of up to 300 words, and an abstract of the paper will be requested. Abstracts should be written in English and not exceed 500 words, including the title of the paper and four key words.
6. Abstracts are selected through a blind review by the Pedro Hispano Programme Scientific Committee, based on quality and relevance criteria.
7. The decision of the Scientific Committee will be communicated through August 5, 2013. The list of accepted papers and the conference programme will be published at http://www.fcsh.unl.pt/phd
8. Provisional versions of the papers should be uploaded no later than August 31, 2013 to the URL that will be sent by the summer school office. The conference papers will be available for download by registered participants.
Publishing in the Pedro Hispano Working Paper Series:
9. Participants at the Pedro Hispano Lisbon Graduate Conference transfer to FCSH/NOVA the rights of editing, publishing, reproducing and disseminating the papers. Reproduction of articles is allowed in case of publication on another collection (electronic or paper).
10. Authors of the selected papers are asked to sign a declaration entitling FCSH/NOVA to publish the papers as items of the Pedro Hispano Working Paper Series. Authors must also indicate if they are willing to accept comments on their paper and if they accept their paper to be quoted without previous authorization.
11. Authors of the selected papers should supply short biographic notes (70 words maximum) as well as the email contacts that will be made available with the article.
12. Authors are responsible for getting the necessary authorisations to publish objects protected by intellectual property rights (e.g., photos, data sets, charts, drawings, graphs). Sources and authors’ rights should be clearly indicated in the papers.
13. Authors will be asked to validate the final versions for publication, for which they take full responsibility.
14. In case an author intends to publish her Pedro Hispano working paper in other venues, FCSH/NOVA should be informed. The new publication must make an explicit reference to the original publication in the Pedro Hispano Working Paper Series.
Attending the Conference as a Listener:
Non-paper givers may attend the graduate conference upon brief registration at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1sTGsNfah2FlgP7IoP3VENevJx5hZzgDSq5rOXD5n3LM/viewform
. Certificates of participation and attendance will be available for registered paper givers and listeners.
Page Updated: 08-Jul-2013