LINGUIST List 24.2882
Mon Jul 15 2013
Jobs: Phonetics; Phonology: Linguist, Sensory, Inc.
Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox
Phonetics; Phonology: Linguist, Sensory, Inc., California, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Sensory, Inc.
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: http://www.sensoryinc.com
Job Rank: Linguist
Specialty Areas: Phonetics; Phonology
Seeking Linguist with interest in speech technology. Must be able to juggle multiple projects and priorities, and very organized with strong attention to detail. Must be a fast learner interested in phonetics, phonology and technical concepts. Must be comfortable with customer interaction.
Sensory offers an exciting opportunity at a growing technology company targeting consumer products with cutting edge speech recognition technologies and chips. Sensory is the leader in a rapidly expanding market for voice user interfaces in consumer electronics. Notable Sensory specialties are voice interfaces for mobile communications, entertainment robotics, home automation and automotive. Sensory has design wins with major players in all these fields. Sensory has been a leader in small footprint speech technologies since it’s founding in 1994 and is a profitable privately held company positioned for strong growth.
Primary Duties/Responsibilities:- Develop, tune and test speaker-independent recognition sets and speech prompts for customer projects.
- Recruit and record internal participants for tuning and testing of speech recognition sets for customer and internal projects
- Recruit participants for QA testing of tuned recognition sets for customer and internal projects.
- Review recognition vocabulary lexical properties and menu structure for optimal customer product performance.
- Interact with customers to provide guidance on dialogue design and recognition set makeup for optimal speech recognition success rate
- Work with Sensory engineers to deliver project vocabularies, translations, speech prompts, etc on schedule.
- Assist with QA testing of Sensory's QT2SI (Quick Text-to-Speaker-Independent) recognition set building tool and other Linguistics tools and provide feedback and bug reports to Engineering.
- Responsible for sourcing TTS voice talents auditions, assist in selection of voices
Requirements and Preferences:
- B.A./B.S. in Linguistics required; M.A in Linguistics preferred
- 1-5 years total job experience with demonstrated focus in linguistics required
- Excellent understanding of phonological and phonetic concepts required- Ability to interpret spectrograms and transcribe in IPA required
- Computer literate (Windows, DOS) and experience with Microsoft applications required
- Experience using tools such as Audition, Peak, Sound Forge, or Praat preferred.
- Knowledge of WorldBet or SAMPA preferred
- Fluency in at least one foreign language preferred
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: jobs
Page Updated: 15-Jul-2013