LINGUIST List 24.5328
Thu Dec 19 2013
Support: Dutch; Frisian: PhD Student, Frisian Academy (Fryske Akademy)/ Netherlands
Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox
Willem Visser <wvisser
Dutch; Frisian: PhD Student, Frisian Academy (Fryske Akademy), Netherlands
E-mail this message to a friend
Web Address: http://www.fryske-akademy.nl
Institution/Organization: Frisian Academy (Fryske Akademy)
Specialty Areas: Text/Corpus Linguistics
Required Language(s): Dutch (nld)
Frisian, Western (fry)
Within the framework of the network program University Campus Fryslân the Frisian Academy is looking for a PhD student research into changes in the conjugation of Frisian verbs
This project is a part of a partnership with the ACLC (Amsterdam Centre for Language and Communication) of the University of Amsterdam.
The purpose of this study is twofold. The (more) recent changes in the conjugation of Frisian verbs should be inventoried and accounted for. Within this complex system the ratio between external and internal forces: the great pressure that Dutch exerts on Frisian on the one hand, and the analogical restructuring of the verb paradigm to maintain a transparent relationship between form and function on the other hand, should also be investigated.
- a master’s degree with excellent grades in linguistics or in linguistics of an individual language;
- experience in and affinity with empirical research involving language-corpora and digital data collections;
- experience in and affinity with the analysis of large digital data collections using existing software (databases, spreadsheets and mapping software);
- working knowledge of Frisian at (near-)native level;
- good academic writing and presentation skills;
- good interpersonal and organizational skills;
- strong interest in a scientific career
For additional information, please contact Prof. Dr. Arjen Versloot (University of Amsterdam: apversloot
fryske-akademy.nl by January 15th 2014. Please use 'PhD change verb conjugation’ as the subject line.
The interviews are scheduled in the last week of January 2014 (27th – 31st).
Applications Deadline: 15-Jan-2014
Web Address for Applications: http://www.fryske-akademy.nl
Dr Willem Visser
Page Updated: 19-Dec-2013