LINGUIST List 24.5351
Fri Dec 20 2013
Jobs: Sylheti; General Linguistics; Phonetics: Linguist, Appen
Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox
Danielle Davis <djdavis
Sylheti; General Linguistics; Phonetics: Linguist, Appen
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Appen
Job Location: , ----------------
Web Address: http://www.appen.com/
Job Title: Linguist - Sylheti
Job Rank: Linguist
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Phonetics
Required Language(s): Sylheti (syl)
Position Summary:Appen is looking for native speaker Sylheti Linguist, as spoken in Bangladesh, to assist in the creation of the Lexicon component of a Speech Database (SDB).
The work will also involve creating documents to describe the language for the purpose of language technology development and assisting with resolution of any spelling standardisation or dialectal variation issues in the language. The majority of the linguist’s time will be spent checking and correcting transcriptions of words in phonetic script. Training in Appen processes will be provided.
- Location: Remote, Global
- Hours: Minimum 20 hours per week
- Length: Start immediately and ongoing for the next 4-8 weeks.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:- Must have, or be currently taking, a university degree in Linguistics.
- Must have a background in linguistics and a familiarity with the language, at the level of a fluent native speaker.- Candidate should be a linguist or have completed part of their linguistics training.
- Specific linguistic background should be geared towards phonetics and phonology, and as such the candidate should be familiar with the IPA and possibly other phonetic scripts like X-SAMPA.
- Must be able to co-ordinate over Skype or similar for training.
- Good typing and computer skills essential.
- Must be able to understand and follow detailed instructions written in English.
- Must pass the AppenOnline Sylheti spelling/qualification test
- Good time-management skills
- Reliable internet connection.
- Must have PayPal/MoneyBookers (Skrill) account for payments.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: https://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH05/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=BUTLERHILL&cws=4&rid=680
Senior Recruiter Danielle Davis
Page Updated: 20-Dec-2013