LINGUIST List 25.3051
Fri Jul 25 2014
Jobs: Multiple Languages; Computational Linguistics; Morphology; Syntax: Computational Linguist, Oracle
Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont
Heather Arnold oracle.com>
Subject: Multiple Languages; Computational Linguistics; Morphology; Syntax: Computational Linguist, Oracle, District of Columbia, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Oracle
Department: Oracle Language Technology - Big Data
Job Location: District of Columbia, USA
Job Title: Computational Linguist - Hindi, Tamil, Turkish, Norwegian, Finnish, or Swedish
Job Rank: Computational Linguist
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Morphology; Syntax
Required Language(s): Finnish (fin)
Norwegian Bokmål (nob)
Join the Oracle Language Technology team and develop multi-lingual natural language component software used in a variety of search and analysis products and applications.
The Oracle Language Technology (OLT) group develops language technology to support search and text analysis in a variety of Oracle products. Our language software supports 50 languages and is currently developing 30 additional languages. The group has engineers to develop the software and computational linguists to develop the language dictionaries and other data needed to perform language analysis.
We have a team of 12 computational linguists that work with software engineers to develop the language processing functionality, creating, managing, and testing the linguistic data that permits linguistic analysis at various levels from tokenization to lemmatization to sentiment assignment.
We are seeking a computational linguist for research and development related to a multi-language natural language processing system.
Qualified candidates have native or near-native proficiency in at least one of the following languages:
Proficiency in other non-European languages is a strong plus.
- Academic degree in Linguistics and/or 2-5 years of professional experience specializing in syntax, semantics, comparative linguistics/typology, morphology
- Experience with creating morphological rules for languages both familiar and unfamiliar
- Experience with language corpora
- Proficiency with regular expressions and basic Unix/Linux shell commands
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to work independently
- Proficiency in a scripting language (Perl, Python, Ruby, etc.) is a plus
- This is not a translation role and not a machine learning role
The candidates will be responsible for:
- Creating, developing, and maintaining lexicons and morphological rules in a variety of languages
- Assessing the quality of existing language work
- Ongoing testing and evaluation of OLT language analysis software
- Researching and evaluating tokenization, morphological, and higher level analysis techniques
Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply, visit the application website below (Job Number: 14000G0K).
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: heather.arnoldoracle.com
Web Address for Applications: https://oracle.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en&alt=1
Page Updated: 16-Aug-2014