LINGUIST List 25.4309
Thu Oct 30 2014
Support: German, Hungarian; General Linguistics, Language Acquisition, Pragmatics, Semantics, Syntax / Germany
Editor for this issue: Danuta Allen <danutalinguistlist.org>
Juliana Diner <juliana.diner
German, Hungarian; General Linguistics, Language Acquisition, Pragmatics, Semantics, Syntax: PhD Student, Bielefeld University, Germany E-mail this message to a friend
Department: Faculty of Linguistics and Literary Studies
Web Address: http://www.uni-bielefeld.de/%28en%29/lili/startseite/fakultaet.html
Institution/Organization: Bielefeld University
Duties: Research,Teaching,Project Work
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Pragmatics; Semantics; Syntax
Required Language(s): German (deu) Hungarian (hun)
The research group 'General Linguistics' (GL) in the Department of Linguistics at Bielefeld University, Germany is seeking a PhD candidate to work as a research assistant on a project. GL specializes in the development of methods for cross-linguistic comparison, in particular for testing relevant theoretical questions under consideration of language diversity.
The announced position is part of the project 'Focus and thematic role assignment: a comparison of Hungarian and German' ('Fokus und thematische Rollenzuweisung') in cooperation with the research group 'Language and Cognition' at the Department of Linguistics and the Cognitive Interaction Technology Excellence Center. The project is part of the program of emphasis of the German Research Council (DFG) 'XPrag: New Pragmatic Theories.'
We seek applicants for the following position:
1 PhD position
E 13 TV-L (50%)
The position is for 3 years.
Starting date: 1st February, 2015
The applicant should have:
- master's degree in Linguistics, Psycholinguistics, Cognitive Science, or a related discipline;
- knowledge of Hungarian;
Further relevant qualifications:
- focus on Semantics, Pragmatics, or Syntax;
- experience with or interest in experimental work (especially Eye Tracking);
- an excellent command of English.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The candidate will be expected to undertake a PhD degree within the context of the project, design, implement, and analyse experiments with Hungarian native speakers in the context of the project. S/he will also be expected to write up the results for publication.
- The candidate will participate in the activities of the research groups 'General Linguistics' and 'Language and Cognition' at Bielefeld University. Some contribution to administration of the project and teaching (max. 2 hours per term week) may be required.
How to apply:
Applicants should submit relevant documents as a single pdf file via e-mail to
Juliana Diner at juliana.diner
They should include the following:
- curriculum vitae;
- names of two referees;
For full consideration, please submit your application by the application deadline specified below.
We welcome applications from people with disabilities. We particularly welcome applications from women. Given equal suitability, qualifications and professional achievement, women will be given preference unless particular circumstances pertaining to a male applicant predominate.
Applications Deadline: 15-Nov-2014
Mailing Address for Applications:
Attn: Juliana Diner
Bielefeld University Fakultät für Linguistik und Literaturwissenschaft
Postf. 10 01 31
Ms Juliana Diner
Page Updated: 30-Oct-2014