LINGUIST List 25.5079
Sat Dec 13 2014
Jobs: German; Computational Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology: Linguist, Amazon.com / IVONA Software
Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamontlinguistlist.org>
Marco Nicolis <nicolism
German; Computational Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology: Linguist, Amazon.com / IVONA Software E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Amazon.com / Ivona Software
Job Location: Gdansk/Danzig, Poland
Web Address: http://www.ivona.com
Job Title: German linguist
Job Rank: German linguist; Other
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology
Required Language(s): German (deu)
As a Linguist you will work alongside Software Developers who are subject matter experts in speech synthesis and related fields to define and fulfill linguistic data needs. You are expected to have solid knowledge of theoretical linguistics, in particular phonology/phonetics. You will be working on a variety of tasks to improve natural language processing of TTS (text-to-speech). You will collaborate with a Software Developer with linguistic expertise throughout the whole language and voice building process at Ivona/Amazon.
Project duration: 9-18 months, with the possibility of turning the position into a permanent position.
The tasks include:
- Annotating and reviewing linguistic data.
- Creating accurate phonetic transcriptions for German.
- Creating natural language test cases for natural language processing modules.
- Labeling text with semantic, syntactic and morphological features
- Annotating lexicon entries according to guidelines.
- QA of TTS voices and linguistic data.
- Native speaker of German and fluent in English.
- Degree in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics or similar.
- Knowledge of German phonetics and phonology.
- Solid communication skills.
- Strong personal interest in learning, researching, and creating new technologies related to foreign languages, linguistics, phonetics, phonology and language technology.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative, dynamic work environment.
- Comfort with multiple computing platforms (Unix, Mac, Windows), and in particular ability to use the command line interface.
- Knowledge of command line tools under Unix.
- Knowledge of scripting languages (e.g. Perl, Python).
- Knowledge of software version control tools (e.g. Git)
Application Deadline: 31-May-2015 (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: recruitment
Page Updated: 13-Dec-2014