LINGUIST List 25.5081
Sat Dec 13 2014
Jobs: English; Computational Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology: Linguist, Amazon.com / IVONA Software
Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamontlinguistlist.org>
Marco Nicolis <nicolism
English; Computational Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology: Linguist, Amazon.com / IVONA Software E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Amazon.com / IVONA Software
Job Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom
Web Address: http://www.ivona.com
Job Title: UK English computational linguist
Job Rank: Computational linguist; Other
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology
Required Language(s): English (eng)
As a Computational Linguist you will work alongside Software Developers who are subject matter experts in speech synthesis and related fields. You are expected to have solid knowledge of computational linguistics as well as knowledge of phonetics/phonology. You will be working on a variety of tasks to improve natural language processing of TTS (text-to-speech). You will actively collaborate with Software Developers with linguistic expertise throughout the whole language and voice building process at Ivona/Amazon.
Project duration: 9-18 months, with the possibility of turning the position into a permanent one.
The tasks include:
- Normalizing textual resources through regular expressions.
- Creating accurate phonetic transcriptions for UK English.
- Creating natural language test cases for natural language processing modules.
- Labeling text with semantic, syntactic and morphological features
- Annotating lexicon entries according to guidelines.
- QA of TTS voices and linguistic data.
- Native speaker of UK English.
- Degree in Computational Linguistics or similar.
- Solid knowledge of regular expressions.
- Solid knowledge of English phonetics and phonology.
- Knowledge of command line tools under Unix.
- Knowledge of scripting languages (e.g. Perl, Python).
- Familiarity with software version control tools (e.g. Git).
- Solid communication skills.
- Strong personal interest in learning, researching, and creating new technologies related to foreign languages, linguistics, phonetics, phonology and language technology.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative, dynamic work environment.
- Comfort with multiple computing platforms (Unix, Mac, Windows), and in particular ability to use the command line interface.
The job location can be carried out either from our Cambridge, UK offices or our Gdansk, Poland offices.
Application Deadline: 31-May-2015 (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: recruitment
Page Updated: 13-Dec-2014