LINGUIST List 26.1095
Wed Feb 25 2015
Jobs: Ling & Lit; Stylistics: Senior Lecturer/Lecturer, University of Birmingham
Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamontlinguistlist.org>
Jeannette Littlemore <j.m.littlemore
Ling & Lit; Stylistics: Senior Lecturer/Lecturer, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, United Kingdom E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: University of Birmingham
Department: Department of English Language and Applied Linguistics
Job Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom
Job Title: Senior Lecturer/Lecturer in Stylistics
Job Rank: Lecturer; Senior Lecturer
Specialty Areas: Ling & Literature; Stylistics
The University of Birmingham wishes to appoint a permanent Senior Lecturer or Lecturer in Stylistics, focusing on Cognitive, Historical or Socio-stylistics with effect from 1st September 2015 or as soon as possible thereafter. We seek someone who will make an outstanding contribution to the research profile of the Department and will be able to teach across a wide range of modules.
As a Lecturer, the post holder will create and disseminate knowledge by initiating and conducting original research, publishing in their area of research expertise, and developing and delivering undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
In addition to these things, a Senior Lecturer will be required to lead on the design and development of programmes of study, lead applications for external research funding and enhance international research links.
The post holder will be required to undertake administrative tasks whether they are appointed at Lecturer or Senior Lecturer level.
To apply, visit the application website below. Post reference: 31700
Person Specification for a Lecturer
1. A PhD in a related field
2. Excellent publications record demonstrated by existing and forthcoming publications
3. A growing reputation for research in Cognitive, Historical or Socio-stylistics
4. Experience of teaching in this area of specialism
5. Excellent written and oral communication skills
6. Excellent IT skills in Microsoft Office
7. Skills in managing, motivating and counselling colleagues and students
8. Ability to design, deliver, assess and revise teaching programmes
9. Ability to attract research funding
10. Experience of postgraduate supervision
11. Teaching or research-related administrative experience in a university context
Person Specification for a Senior Lecturer
1. A PhD in a related field
2. Internationally outstanding research record as evidenced by publications in leading international journals or conference proceedings in these fields
3. Established ability to attract and retain PhD students through to completion
4. Proven ability to attract significant research funding and an international reputation built on extensive publications record
5. High level peer esteem as evidenced by excellent reputation in the UK and often internationally, reflected in sustained high quality peer reviewed publications.
6. Substantial research and teaching experience in the Higher Education sector
7. Excellence in teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate level
8. Ability to work effectively and efficiently as a team member as well as independently
9. Excellent written and oral communication skills
10. Successful and sustained performance in significant administrative/managerial roles
11. Successful and sustained contribution to the corporate life of a University.
Application Deadline: 20-Mar-2015 (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/staff/jobs/index.aspx
Dr Jeannette Littlemore
Phone: 00 44 121 414 6208
Page Updated: 25-Feb-2015