LINGUIST List 26.1706
Tue Mar 31 2015
Summer Schools: Summer School in Corpus Linguistics: Tools and Applications / Nottingham, UK
Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashleylinguistlist.org>
Lorenzo Mastropierro <aexlm9
Summer School in Corpus Linguistics: Tools and Applications / Nottingham, UK E-mail this message to a friend
Summer School in Corpus Linguistics: Tools and Applications / Nottingham, UK
Host Institution: University of Nottingham
Dates: 07-Jul-2015 - 09-Jul-2015
Location: Nottingham, United Kingdom
Focus: This event will cover the latest developments in corpus tools and corpus applications through an intensive programme of interactive sessions to be run by leading figures in the field.
Minimum Education Level: Undergraduate
Given the specialised nature of the programme, a basic understanding of corpus linguistics is recommended.
This event is open to undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral students who want to improve their skills to apply corpus methods and use corpus tools in their own research. The programme aims at providing detailed introductions to the latest developments in software and techniques in the field, with practical hands-on sessions on how to employ these in your own research.
Topics of sessions include:
- collocational networks
- corpus stylistic analysis
- statistics in corpus linguistics
- the language of climate change with WordSmith tools
- Vaclav Brezina, Senior Research Associate in Linguistics and English Language, Lancaster University
- Christopher Fallaize, Lecturer in Statistics, School of Mathematical Sciences, University of Nottingham
- Dana Gablasova, Senior Research Associate in Linguistics and English Language, Lancaster University
- Victorina Gonzalez-Diaz, Senior Lecturer in English Language and Linguistics, Liverpool
- Reiner Grundmann, Professor of Science & Technology Studies, University of Nottingham
- Andrew Hardie, Senior Lecturer in Linguistics and English Language, Lancaster University
- Johan de Joode, Research Fellow on the CLiC project, University of Nottingham
- Michaela Mahlberg, Professor of English Language and Linguistics, University of Nottingham
- Tony McEnery, Professor of Linguistics, Lancaster University
- Simon Preston, Assistant Professor, School of Mathematical Sciences, University of Nottingham
- Peter Stockwell, Professor of Literary Linguistics, University of Nottingham
The detailed programme will be posted in Summer 2015.
Linguistic Field(s): Text/Corpus Linguistics
Subject Languages: English
Registration: 01-Apr-2015 to 07-Jul-2015
Contact Person: CRAL Centre for Research in Applied Linguistics
The registration fee is 85 GBP for students and 110 GBP for non-students, including all day refreshments (lunch and evening meal for each day). Accommodation is on campus, which is at some distance from the town itself. We therefore strongly encourage attendees to choose the on-campus accommodation package.
The accommodation costs (per night) are 50 GBP for on-site halls of residence and 85 GBP for on-site hotel (breakfast included in both accommodation packages).
Please register via the online shop: http://store.nottingham.ac.uk/browse/extra_info.asp?compid=1&modid=2&deptid=9&catid=90&prodid=546
A draft programme will be available shortly. Please visit the Summer School webpage for regular updates: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/research/groups/cral/research-groups/clw/summer-school.aspx
Page Updated: 31-Mar-2015