LINGUIST List 26.1862
Wed Apr 08 2015
Summer Schools: CSLS Summer School 2015: Language in Social Context / Ligerz, Bern, Switzerland
Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashleylinguistlist.org>
Anne-Danièle Gazin <anne-daniele.gazin
CSLS Summer School 2015: Language in Social Context / Ligerz, Bern, Switzerland E-mail this message to a friend
CSLS Summer School 2015: Language in Social Context / Ligerz, Bern, Switzerland
Host Institution: Universität Bern
Dates: 29-Jun-2015 - 03-Jul-2015
Location: Ligerz, Bern, Switzerland
Focus: The Summer School is being organized by the Center for the Study of Language and Society (CSLS) at the University of Bern and its PhD program Studies in Language and Society, in collaboration with the PhD Program Transcultural Processes in Iberoromania of the Romance Department at the University of Zurich.
The Summer School focuses on three partly overlapping thematic subareas:
Minimum Education Level: MA
There will be lectures given by invited speakers who are experts in these areas, as well as short method workshops, and small-group sessions in which PhD students will have a chance to present their research and receive feedback
from an expert in the field as well as from their peers. Taking into account the different language specializations of our students, student presentations will take place in two parallel sessions, one being held in English, and the other covering the Romance languages involved (focusing on Spanish). However, all lectures by the invited speakers will be in English.
Confirmed speakers and workshop leaders:
- Lisa Atalianis (Birkbeck College)
- David Block (Universitat de Lleida)
- Kathryn Campbell-Kibler (The Ohio State University)
- Sigurd D‘hondt (Ghent University)
- Kristine Horner (The University of Sheffield)
- Johannes Kabatek (Universität Zürich)
- Wolfgang Kesselheim (Universität Zürich)
- Constanze Vorwerg (Universität Bern)
Where and When?
The Summer School will be held at the Aarbergerhus in Ligerz (Switzerland), a little winegrower village on lake Biel, opposite St. Peter's Island, with a picturesque alley and wine cellars. For some preliminary impressions of the
venue, you may want to have a look here: www.ligerz.ch
. It runs from Monday afternoon (arrival late morning) to Friday morning (departure at noon). As of 6/1/2015, there are still spots open and registration is still possible!
Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics
Subject Languages: English
Language Families: Indo-European
Tuition: 400 CHF
Tuition Explanation: Tuition covers the costs for room (double occupancy) and board, but not travel expenses.
Registration: 08-Apr-2015 to 05-May-2015
Contact Person: Anne-Danièle Gazin
Apply by Email: conf.csls
Please email the following documents to conf.csls
- a short abstract of your presentation (maximum 400 words), written in the language of presentation
- a short CV (1 page), indicating most important educational and professional qualifications, and including the topic of your dissertation and the name of a referee we might contact
- a personal statement on your motivation to participate in the CSLS Summer School “Language in Social Context” (maximum 100 words)
Later applications (submitted past 01.05.2015) will be considered if there are places left.
Page Updated: 08-Apr-2015