LINGUIST List 26.2895
Sun Jun 14 2015
Jobs: English; Applied Linguistics: Japan Center for Michigan Universities (JCMU)
Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamontlinguistlist.org>
Benjamin McCracken <bmccracken
English; Applied Linguistics: Japan Center for Michigan Universities (JCMU), Hikone, Shiga Prefecture, Japan E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Japan Center for Michigan Universities (JCMU)
Department: English Language Program
Job Location: Hikone, Shiga Prefecture, Japan
Web Address: http://jcmu.isp.msu.edu/
Job Title: English Program Coordinator
Job Rank: English Program Coordinator; Instructor; Manager; Other; Teacher
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics
Required Language(s): English (eng)
English Program Coordinator duties include supervising and managing a diverse English language program, program planning, scheduling, teaching a maximum of 10 to 20 hours per week, program and curriculum development, conducting faculty meetings, facilitating professional development, and participating in student activities such as field trips and opening and closing ceremonies. Candidates should be interested in teaching both children and adults and should also be able to teach an undergraduate TESOL methods course.
JCMU has a wide range of students and programs, including but not limited to, children’s courses, TOEFL and TOEIC courses, intensive English courses, as well as courses for a wide range of adult learners. Many of JCMU’s students are interested in maintaining, brushing up on, and improving their English. JCMU also has many students that are learning English for possible future study abroad opportunities.
JCMU is administered by the Office of the Dean of International Studies and Programs at Michigan State University (MSU), on behalf of the State of Michigan and its fifteen public universities. The JCMU English language program is administered in collaboration with Shiga Prefecture. JCMU operates in facilities owned by the Prefecture on the shore of Lake Biwa, in the town of Hikone, approximately one hour from Kyoto. Please see http://www.isp.msu.edu/jcmu/
for more information about JCMU.
Period of Appointment
This is a full-time, annually renewable position with an anticipated start date of fall 2015.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications. Compensation includes standard Japanese benefits, housing, and a relocation travel/personal effects allowance.
Required Qualifications and Competencies
- MA TESOL (or an MA in a related area)
- Japanese language proficiency is preferred but not required.
- Minimum two to five years’ experience teaching English in an ESL or EFL program. Teaching experience should include teaching children.
- Strong organizational skills
- Managerial background is preferred
- Strong leadership skills and ability to think innovatively and creatively as appropriate for the Japanese context.
- Ability to collaborate with Shiga Prefecture to develop new programs and courses that are relevant and competitive within the evolving market of English language instruction in Japan.
- Ability to keep up with advances in English language teaching and the English language market in Japan.
- Native degree of proficiency in the spoken and written use of the English language.
- Ability to work cooperatively and decisively within an organization encompassing two cultures and several institutions.
- Applicants should be energetic, friendly, and patient.
Applicants should send a cover letter detailing related experience, curriculum vita, and the names of three references. Additional materials may be requested later. Please submit all materials by PDF to Benjamin J. McCracken via the application email below. The subject line of the email should say “Application for English Program Coordinator Position”. Applications should be submitted no later than June 26, 2015.
Application Deadline: 26-Jun-2015
Email Address for Applications: bmccracken
Resident Director Benjamin McCracken
Page Updated: 14-Jun-2015