LINGUIST List 26.3316
Thu Jul 16 2015
Support: Dutch; English; Computational Linguistics; Syntax / Belgium
Editor for this issue: Erin Arnold <earnoldlinguistlist.org>
Jeroen van Craenenbroeck <jeroen.vancraenenbroeck
Dutch; English; Computational Linguistics; Syntax, PhD, KU Leuven, Belgium E-mail this message to a friend
Web Address: http://www.arts.kuleuven.be/ling/english
Institution/Organization: KU Leuven
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Syntax
Required Language(s): Dutch (nld) English (eng)
PhD project ''Quantity and quality in linguistics''
The research group Formal and Computational Linguistics (ComForT) and the Center for Research in Syntax, Semantics, and Phonology (CRISSP) at KU Leuven invite submissions for a PhD-position in formal and quantitative linguistics.
This project seeks to bridge the gap between formal-theoretical and quantitative-statistical linguistics. It combines a quantitative methodology with hypotheses taken from the formal-theoretical literature. On the one hand it investigates to what extent theoretical analyses of language phenomena can narrow down the hypothesis space created by quantitative-statistical analyses of large digital collections of language data, but on the other hand the quantitative findings also serve as a testing ground for the linguistic hypotheses. The project thus tries to establish a fruitful bidirectional collaboration between two subdisciplines of linguistics that traditionally do not communicate or collaborate much with one another. The research domain of the project will be verb clusters in Dutch dialects.
Profile of the candidate:
- an MA degree in Linguistics, or Language(s) with a specialisation in linguistics
- a curious, enterprising, and creative mind; excellent analytical skills
- fluency in both written and spoken English (Knowledge of Dutch is an asset but not required at the time of application. However, since most of the data is in Dutch and the candidate might be asked to do some teaching, s/he must be willing to acquire a working knowledge of the language during the project.)
- an interest in relating intricate language data to advanced linguistic theorizing
- an affinity with statistical analyses of language data
- an outstanding record of undergraduate and Master's level work
- an ability to work both independently and to function in a group
The Center for Research in Syntax, Semantics, and Phonology (CRISSP) is a research center of formal linguistics, and a part of the research unit of Formal and Computational Linguistics (ComForT) at KU Leuven. CRISSP is currently specialized in syntax, morphosyntax and formal logic. ComForT and CRISSP offer an environment where intellectual creativity and independence are encouraged to thrive. They foster the lively exchange of ideas, and provide strong intellectual, moral, and logistical support to its PhD students, postdocs, and other collaborators.
Applications Deadline: 30-Sep-2015
Web Address for Applications: https://icts.kuleuven.be/apps/jobsite/vacatures/53387729
Prof. Jeroen van Craenenbroeck
Phone:+32 16 37 79 36
Page Updated: 16-Jul-2015