LINGUIST List 26.3409
Fri Jul 24 2015
Jobs: Semantics; Syntax: Post Doc, LABEX ''Empirical Foundations of Linguistics''
Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamontlinguistlist.org>
Anne Abeillé <abeille
Semantics; Syntax: Post Doc, LABEX ''Empirical Foundations of Linguistics'', Paris, France E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: LABEX "Empirical Foundations of Linguistics"
Department: Sorbonne Paris Cité (SPC)
Job Location: Paris, France
Web Address: http://www.labex-efl.org/
Job Title: Post-doc : Experimental syntax or semantics
Job Rank: Post Doc
Specialty Areas: Semantics; Syntax
The Labex EFL (Empirical Foundations of Linguistics, http://www.labex-efl.org/
), Sorbonne Paris Cité - recruits a postdoctoral researcher : Experimental syntax or semantics. It is a full time position for 12 months. Depending on the results, the position may be renewed for another 12 months. Job location: Laboratoire de Linguistique Formelle, Paris.
The position is provided by the strand « Experimental Grammar » of the Labex EFL project (strand 2). The postdoctoral fellow is expected to have knowledge of theoretical syntax and semantics, as well as empirical methods: annotated corpora, experiments, and statistics. S/He is expected to design experiments for several languages. The lab has an experimental room, a lab assistant as well as experimental material (eyetracker, SMI glasses, portable EEG…). The applicant will propose a research program inside one of the following workpackages:
ANA: Anaphor resolution (resp. Barbara Hemforth bhemforth
The project should have an empirical focus on anaphor resolution with a strong cross linguistic perspective. The anaphor can be an overt or null pronoun. A project on anaphoric expressions (comprehension or production) in a less studied language would be a plus.
PLU: Plurality and quantification (resp. Carmen Dobrovie Sorin carmen.sorin
The project should bear on the analysis of the mass/count distinction, plural and mass quantification from a crosslinguistic perspective :
- Distributive operators and pluralization
- Co-distributivity markers (e.g., binominal each/chacun in English and French, jeweils in German, numeral doubling in Hungarian, nga in Albanian, cîte in Romanian, etc.)
- Bare plurals and dependant plurals
- Free choice items and pluralities
- Morphological plural marking (on the verb or on the noun) and semantic plurality
- Mass and plural quantification
- Plural events, plural individuals and plural arguments
Two or three experiences related to the theoretical project should be described and clearly planned by a detailed schedule.
REL: Processing, acquisition and typology of relative clauses (resp. Caterina Donati cdonati
The project should bear on one of the following topics:
- Internally headed relative clauses. Syntax and/or processing and/or acquisition
- Correlative clauses. Syntax and/or processing and/or acquisition
- Resumptive strategies of relativisation: experimental perspectives
- Reduced relative clauses. Syntax and/or processing and/or acquisition
- Pseudorelatives. Syntax and/or processing and/or acquisition
- Free relatives and matching phenomena: experimental perspectives
The applicant will have to demonstrate an exceptional research potential and contact the coordinator of the work package when writing her project. A good knowledge of French is an additional asset and the applicant must have defended his/her PhD by January 31st 2016.
Prospective applicants should send:
- A curriculum vitae including publications
- A research project (max 4 pages)
- Names of two referents (with email address)
- A website address where the publications can be downloaded.
Application deadline: October 1st 2015
Start of work: December 2015 or January 2016
Salary: 26.000 € net of taxes/year
Application reference: EFL-strand2
Contacts for application : abeille
You can find this offer directly on the EFL website here: http://www.labex-efl.org/?q=en/node/323
Application Deadline: 01-Oct-2015
Email Address for Applications: abeille
Professor Anne Abeillé
Page Updated: 24-Jul-2015