LINGUIST List 26.3437
Thu Jul 30 2015
Jobs: Applied Linguistics: Academic Administrator, Yale University
Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamontlinguistlist.org>
Nelleke Van Deusen-Scholl <nelleke.vandeusen-scholl
Applied Linguistics: Academic Administrator, Yale University, Connecticut, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Yale University
Department: Center for Language Study
Job Location: Connecticut, USA
Web Address: http://cls.yale.edu/
Job Title: Instructional Technology Specialist
Job Rank: Academic Administrator; Other
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics
Instructional Technology Specialist
Yale Center for Language Study
The Yale Center for Language Study, a unit of the Yale Center for Teaching and Learning, supports language education across Yale by providing opportunities for professional development for language faculty and graduate students and by promoting innovative approaches to language learning. The Center offers a range of specialized language programs for students, such as the Shared Course Initiative with peer institutions using distance technology, the English Language Program, and the Language for Special Purposes program. Under the direction of the Associate Director, the Instructional Technology Specialist consults with language faculty to determine technology needs and provide solutions that support pedagogical and assessment goals. This position provides instructional technology support and training to language faculty for traditional and distance learning classrooms, including researching, recommending and implementing new solutions.
1. Identifies educational objectives for language teaching and appropriate supporting technologies, and provides expert advice to faculty on technology-enhanced teaching.
2. Assists in the preparation of course materials for online distribution, uploading and organization of course materials, and production of digital resources accessible online.
3. Serves as technological and pedagogical support for online and distance learning initiatives, in particular, the Yale African Language Initiative, by supporting faculty to develop course curricula and training faculty on new technologies for distance learning.
4. Supports programs that showcase language learning and teaching, including the language learning ePortfolio initiative. Supports ongoing initiatives by offering technological and pedagogical advice, as well as exploring new tools to evaluate language teaching and learning.
5. Assists with assessment initiatives, including innovations in online assessment. Develops training materials, both video and text, to support students and faculty in the move to online placement testing. Evaluates ongoing pilots and suggests improvements.
6. Supports specialized language learning programs, such as the Language for Special Purposes program, by training new faculty, facilitating the use of the LMS, and trouble-shooting solutions for technological and pedagogical challenges in a hybrid teaching environment.
7. Provides pedagogical and technical support for telecollaborative teaching initiatives. Trains language faculty and identifies solutions for technology-enhanced cross-institutional collaborations.
8. Researches and identifies new trends in language teaching and learning, including online learning design and technology-enhanced teaching. Makes recommendations to enhance CLS initiatives.
Required education and experience:
- Master’s degree in foreign language education, Applied Linguistics, TESOL, or related field and two years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Language teaching experience desirable.
- Experience with online or distance foreign language education preferred.
Send expressions of interest to Nelleke Van Deusen-Scholl (Nelleke.vandeusen-scholl
yale.edu) & Suzanne Young (Suzanne.young
yale.edu). Please include cover letter and CV. We will have preliminary conversations with candidates at the FLEAT VI conference in Boston, August 11-15. The formal job announcement will be forthcoming.
Application Deadline: 31-Jan-2016 (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: nelleke.vandeusen-scholl
Director, Yale Center for Language Study Nelleke Van Deusen-Scholl
Page Updated: 30-Jul-2015