LINGUIST List 26.5433
Mon Dec 07 2015
Jobs: English; Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition: Professor / Associate Professor, University of Aizu
Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamontlinguistlist.org>
Kyoko Okudaira <clr-position
English; Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition: Professor / Associate Professor, University of Aizu, Aizu-Wakamatsu, Fukushima, Japan E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: University of Aizu
Department: Center for Language Research (CLR)
Job Location: Aizu-Wakamatsu, Fukushima, Japan
Web Address: http://clrweb.u-aizu.ac.jp
Job Title: Center for Language Research (CLR), University of Aizu, Japan
Job Rank: Associate Professor; Professor
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition; English
Center for Language Research (CLR)
University of Aizu, Japan
Call for Applications
Professor or Senior Associate Professor or Associate Professor
Center for Language Research, University of Aizu, Japan
Professor, Senior Associate Professor, or Associate Professor level, depending on candidate qualifications. Now accepting applications for tenure-track appointments. The duration of the tenure-track probationary period is three years with the tenure review taking place 2.5 years after commencing the position. The mandatory retirement age is 65 (as defined by Japanese labour law).
Starting Date: 1 October 2016 (or as soon thereafter as possible)
1. Doctorate in hand (or proof of imminent completion).
2. Experience in teaching English as a foreign language. (Experience in EFL for computer science or engineering students will be viewed favorably.)
3. Although our primary consideration will be the selection of a candidate from those with strengths in English language teaching, our center also has a need for applicants having
- a. training and experience with computer-assisted language learning,
- b. training and experience in language assessment and testing, and
- c. experience with study abroad programs.
4. Scholarly publications and professional experience.
5. International experience (necessary to have lived, studied, or worked outside one’s native country; experience in Japan will be viewed favorably).
Duties: Teach 4-5 courses per semester (including one thesis writing course; each course meets for 90 minutes per week), develop instruction, serve on committees, conduct research and publish
Salary: Highly competitive, and based on the university’s established salary scale
- Subsidized furnished housing in faculty apartments
- Large, well-equipped private office in modern building
- New-employee allowance for computer and research equipment
- Well-equipped, high-tech classrooms
- Campus-wide wireless network
- Annual budget for research, business travel, academic memberships, etc.
- Consulting and other business activities permitted
- Winter utilities allowance
- Full-time employment with retirement and health benefits
- Transportation costs to Aizuwakamatsu
- Only two and a half hours from Tokyo by train
Additional Information: Please see http://clrweb.u-aizu.ac.jp
Include the following documents combined in a single PDF file in the prescribed order below. Multiple file submissions will not be considered. Do not use online CV services.
1. Cover letter (in English) - Please indicate clearly whether you are applying for the Professor, Senior Associate Professor, or Associate Professor position.
2. CV (in English)
3. Copies of two representative publications (in English)
4. Name, affiliation, and contact information (including email) of three people who will recommend you. (Please do not send letters of recommendation until asked.)
5. Photocopies of university diplomas (with English translations if not originally in English)
6. URLs of any online work or educational materials (in English)
All documents should be sent only by email (attached in a single PDF file) to:
Professor Kyoko Okudaira
Office for Planning and Management
University of Aizu
Attention: CLR Faculty Selection Committee
The application deadline is 29 February 2016. Review of applications will begin on 1 March 2016 and continue until the position is filled. Only successful candidates will be notified.
Application Deadline: 29-Feb-2016
Email Address for Applications: clr-position
Professor Kyoko Okudaira
Page Updated: 07-Dec-2015