LINGUIST List 26.778
Thu Feb 05 2015
Jobs: Phonology; Syntax: Post Doc, Leiden University
Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamontlinguistlist.org>
Lisa Lai-Shen Cheng <l.l.cheng
Phonology; Syntax: Post Doc, Leiden University, Leiden, Netherlands E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Leiden University
Department: Leiden University Centre for Linguistics
Job Location: Leiden, Netherlands
Web Address: http://www.lucl.nl
Job Title: Postdoc in Theoretical Linguistics
Job Rank: Post Doc
Specialty Areas: Phonology; Syntax
The Leiden University Centre for Linguistics (http://www.hum.leiden.edu/lucl/
), the institute of linguistics at the Faculty of Humanities, Leiden University, is hosting a 4-year programme entitled “Ellipsis Licensing beyond Syntax” http://www.hum.leiden.edu/lucl/news-events/news/vc-cheng-liptak-ellipsis.html
funded by the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research, NWO.
This project takes an integrated approach towards elliptical constructions by studying their syntactic, prosodic and morphological characteristics. We are looking for a postdoctoral fellow to carry out experimental and theoretical studies in the subproject "Ellipsis and (de)accentuation".
The postdoc fellow will have to conduct original research on the following topics:
- The accentuation profile of various elliptical constructions, such as sluicing in Dutch, English, Romanian and Hungarian predicate ellipsis in Irish, Russian and Finnish;
- The profile of accentuation and de-accentuation in anaphoric nominal constituents in a selected Romance and Germanic language;
- Language variation in the accentuation profile of elliptical constructions;
- Conducting production experiments with native speakers of the above languages;
- Modelling the interaction between syntax and prosody in the formation of elliptical sentences.
- A background in theoretical linguistics with a specialization on syntax-prosody interface;
- A PhD degree in linguistics;
- A couple of years of post-doctoral experience;
- Hands-on experience with prosodic annotation and the use of PRAAT (or a similar program);
- (Extensive) experience in publishing results in international peer-reviewed journals in the field of syntax, prosody and intonational phonology (or related);
- Good social skills and ability to work in a team and to supervise BA, MA, and/or PhD students;
- Good knowledge of English is essential;
- Knowledge of Dutch, Romanian, Hungarian, Irish, Finnish or a Romance language is considered a plus.
About our organisation
The Faculty of Humanities is rich in expertise in fields as philosophy, religious studies, history, art history, literature, linguistics and regional studies covering nearly every region of the world. Our faculty is home to more than 6.000 students and 1.100 staff members. For more information, see http://www.hum.leidenuniv.nl
The Faculty has six Institutes, among which the Leiden University Centre for Linguistics. LUCL has a longstanding tradition in the world’s languages and features unique linguistic expertise.
LUCL combines current theoretical insights and modern experimental methods in its research profile area “Language Diversity in the World”. For more information, see: http://www.research.leiden.edu/research-profiles/language-diversity/
Terms and conditions
We offer a fulltime, fixed-term post for three years starting between 1 June 2015 and 1 September 2015.
Salary range, depending on education and work experience, from € 2.476,- to € 4.551,- gross per month (pay scale 10 and 11, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities), based on a full-time appointment.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
Application Deadline: 28-Feb-2015
Web Address for Applications: http://www.werkenbij.leidenuniv.nl/vacatures/wetenschappelijke-functies/15-018-vacancy-leiden-university-postdoc-theoretical-linguistics.html
Lisa Lai-Shen Cheng
Page Updated: 05-Feb-2015