LINGUIST List 26.933
Sun Feb 15 2015
Jobs: Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics: Data Specialist, Amazon.com Inc.
Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamontlinguistlist.org>
Janet Slifka <slifka
Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics: Data Specialist, Amazon.com Inc. E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Amazon.com Inc.
Job Location: Massachusetts, USA
Web Address: http://www.amazon.jobs/jobs/307366/data-specialist-manager
Job Title: Data Specialist, Speech and Language
Job Rank: Researcher
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics
Amazon is seeking a Data Specialist to join our data team as a leader and a domain expert. This role focuses on speech transcription, text annotation, and general data analysis deliverables. The Data Specialist will become an expert in the transcription and annotation processes, lead a team of skilled annotators, maintain and monitor accuracy and throughput standards, and be a key member in developing new conventions and forms of markup and annotation. In addition, the Data Specialist will be asked to handle unique data analysis requests that support the overall processing of a data collection and analysis team.
The Data Specialist must have a passion for data, efficiency, and accuracy. Specifically, the Data Specialist will:
- Lead a team of 10 to 20 annotators
- Be responsible for interviewing, training and motivating employees; planning, assigning and directing work; and effective conflict resolution.
- Set the standard for efficiency and accuracy among the team
- Assist in troubleshooting and resolving technical and logistical issues from the team
- Lead and evaluate changing annotation conventions, test tooling developments, and pilot processes to support expansion to new data areas
- Continuously evaluate annotation tools and processes and offer solutions to ensure they are efficient, high quality, and scalable
- Handle unique data analysis requests from a range of data customers.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a relevant field
- Excellent proficiency in US English
- Comfortable working with speech from various dialects and accents
- Experience taking a lead role on large, fast-moving projects
- Excellent communication, strong organizational skills and very detailed oriented
- Strong technical and analytical aptitude
- PhD in a relevant field
- Experience with Linux, query languages, scripting languages
- Experience working with speech or language data, including experience with annotation and other forms of data markup
- Practical knowledge of data processing needs and trade-offs
- Willing to work in the Boston area
- Exceptional level of organization
- Fluency in a foreign language a plus
Application Deadline: 30-Apr-2015 (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: http://www.amazon.jobs/jobs/307366/data-specialist-manager
Page Updated: 15-Feb-2015