LINGUIST List 26.970
Tue Feb 17 2015
Calls: Applied Linguistics/Belgium
Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhitelinguistlist.org>
Sofie Decock <sofie.decock
Multilingual Perspectives on Professional Discourse in Europe E-mail this message to a friend
Full Title: Multilingual Perspectives on Professional Discourse in Europe
Date: 10-Sep-2015 - 11-Sep-2015
Location: Ghent, Belgium
Contact Person: Sofie Decock
Meeting Email: < click here to access email >
Web Site: http://www.mppde.ugent.be
Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics
Call Deadline: 15-Mar-2015
Ghent University, Department of Translation, Interpreting and Communication, Department of
"Intercomm and Lang+, two young and dynamic UGhent-based research teams are pleased to announce they will be co-hosting an international conference entitled Multilingual perspectives on professional discourse in Europe, which will take place at Ghent University, Belgium on 10-11 September 2015." The topical and methodological scope of this conference has been kept as wide as possible, though a number of foci of attention have been included. The communicative context will be restricted to Europe and main topics include multilingual internal and external, written or oral communication in organizational and institutional settings (meetings, hearings, emails, press releases, annual reports, etc.).
Specific attention will be paid to:
- Multilingualism and identity construction in a professional context
- Multilingualism and enactment of power in a professional context
- Speech act realizations in multilingual professional settings
- Change management communication in multilingual professional settings
- Localized financial reporting from a multilingual perspective
- Language policy in international organizations
- Science communication in multilingual professional settings
- (interpreter mediated) service encounters in multilingual settings
- Public service interpreting
The conference is open to a variety of theoretical and (multi-)methodological approaches, such as ethnographic, sociolinguistic, (intercultural and cross-cultural) pragmatic and corpus-based approaches.
- Yves Van Vaerenbergh: http://www.hubrussel.net/HRRG/HRRG_HOMEPAGE/HRR_HOMEPAGE-Members/Yves-Van
- Srikant Sarangi: http://www.cf.ac.uk/encap/contactsandpeople/profiles/sarangi
- Celia Roberts: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/sspp/departments/education/people/academic/robertsc.aspx
- Anne Kankaanranta: http://centerforinterculturaldialogue.org/2011/03/02/anne
Final Call for Papers:
We welcome papers on any of the subjects listed above or on any other topic related to professional communication in Europe from a multilingual/intercultural perspective. We especially welcome papers that re-examine theoretical frameworks, explore new methodologies and discuss the merits and flaws of data triangulation and/or focus on practical applications.
Presenters will be allowed 20 minutes, plus 10 minutes for questions and discussion. The working languages of the conference will be English and French.
Proposals (abstracts of max. 400 words excluding references), written in English or French, must be sent in PDF format to http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/MPPDE2015
. Deadline for receipt of abstracts is 15 March 2015. All abstracts will be double-blind peer-reviewed and should include sufficient details to allow reviewers to judge the scientific merits of the work. Notifications of acceptance will be communicated by end of April 2015.
Page Updated: 17-Feb-2015