LINGUIST List 27.1191
Mon Mar 07 2016
Jobs: Spanish; Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition: Asst/Assoc Professor, University of Massachusetts Lowell
Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamontlinguistlist.org>
Spanish; Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition: Asst/Assoc Professor, University of Massachusetts Lowell, Massachusetts, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: University of Massachusetts Lowell
Job Location: Massachusetts, USA
Job Title: Assistant/Associate Professor and Spanish Coordinator
Job Rank: Asst/Assoc Professor
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition
Required Language(s): Spanish (spa)
Assistant/Associate Professor and Spanish Coordinator
The Department of World Languages and Cultures at the University of Massachusetts Lowell is seeking to fill a tenure-track position at the level of Assistant/Associate Professor in Spanish to serve as the Language Program Coordinator, starting in September 2016. Ph.D. must be in second language acquisition in Spanish (related specializations in Applied Linguistics will be considered). The Department is seeking a dynamic, flexible and experienced candidate who will emphasize the importance of language learning in a multicultural and global environment, and will have good interpersonal and organizational skills. Qualified candidates should have an active research agenda, demonstrate excellence in research as well as a strong record of publications and indication of work in progress.
The successful candidate will serve as the language coordinator of the first and second year Spanish undergraduate language program. The teaching load includes elementary and intermediate Spanish courses, as well as a required research methods course for all language majors. The successful candidate will work closely with the current upper level Spanish coordinator to provide goal-oriented leadership for the instruction of 100-and 200-level courses. The Spanish program in the Department of World Languages and Cultures at UMass Lowell is currently growing and counts around 100 undergraduate students (majors and minors). Moreover, Spanish is the most popular choice among students completing a college language requirement. In addition to teaching, coordination responsibilities include: overseeing the operation of the elementary and intermediate program; leading short-and long-term planning for the Spanish program; advising students.
- An earned Ph.D. in Applied Linguistics, language pedagogy, or related field (must have Ph.D. by the time of appointment)
- Two or more years of experience in coordination of multi-section Spanish language courses (demonstrated organizational and management abilities)
- Five or more years of teaching experience in a U.S university-based Spanish language program with excellent teaching credentials, both in the classroom and in mentoring students outside the classroom
- The ability to work effectively with diverse groups
- Ability to work within an articulated program under the current upper-division Spanish coordinator
- Native or near-native proficiency in Spanish and English
- Experience in digital assisted teaching technologies required
- Preference given to candidates who are certified ACTFL testers
To apply, please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, teaching philosophy, research statement, teaching evaluations, evidence of teaching and contact information of three references at the application website below.
- Attach to Evidence of teaching: letters of evaluation for coordination performance; syllabus or course description
- References will be contacted before campus interview
Initial review of applications will begin immediately, and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications is received.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.
Application Deadline: 30-Aug-2016
Web Address for Applications: http://www.Click2Apply.net/rnt7xf9tvq
Page Updated: 07-Mar-2016