LINGUIST List 27.1238
Thu Mar 10 2016
Jobs: English; General Linguistics: Full Professor, Leiden University
Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamontlinguistlist.org>
English; General Linguistics: Full Professor, Leiden University, Leiden, Netherlands E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Leiden University
Department: Faculty of Humanities, LUCL
Job Location: Leiden, Netherlands
Web Address: http://www.universiteitleiden.nl/
Job Title: Full Professorship English Linguistics
Job Rank: Full Professor
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics
Required Language(s): English (eng)
**This position has been filled.
The Leiden Institute for Linguistics, Leiden University, Faculty of Humanities, invite applications for a
Full Professorship in English Linguistics
preferred starting date 1 January 2017
The new professor in English Linguistics will especially contribute to the BA programs English Language and Culture, and Linguistics, and the MA and the Research MA programs Linguistics. S/he will hold an appointment at LUCL. The main tasks are:
- Original research and regular dissemination of the results through appropriate channels;
- Teaching at undergraduate and graduate levels, in lecture and seminar formats, supervision of BA and MA theses, and contributions to curriculum development;
- Supervision of PhD research;
- Initiation and supervision of postgraduate research;
- Acquisition of project funding at the national, European and international level (NWO, Horizon 2020, etc.);
- Administrative and management duties;
- Representation of the field to external audiences and media.
The successful applicant will be a theoretical linguist. Specialization in terms of linguistic sub-disciplines (phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics and pragmatics) is open.
Further requirements are:
- A PhD degree in (theoretical) linguistics;
- A high-quality internationally accessible research and publication record;
- Demonstrable commitment to high-quality teaching practice, and broad teaching scope and thesis supervision at undergraduate and graduate levels;
- A potential to develop interdisciplinary research and teaching;
- Demonstrated ability to acquire external funding for research projects;
- Demonstrated administrative, management and leadership skills;
- A native or near native proficiency of English;
- An extensive worldwide academic network, especially in the Anglo-Saxon world;
- If the successful applicant is not Dutch-speaking, s/he is expected to acquire a good command of Dutch within two years from taking up duty, for administrative and social purposes; the University will fund her/his Dutch training at the University’s Academic Language Center;
- Upon appointment, depending on experience and formal qualifications to date, the successful applicant may be required to enter a nationally standardized tertiary teaching skills certification trajectory (BKO or Basis Kwalificatie Onderwijs), successful completion of which is a condition for favorable assessment in work reviews.
For more information, please contact the dean of the Faculty of Humanities, prof. dr. H.W. van den Doel, e-mail: h.w.van.den.doel
Please submit your application (with the vacancy number mentioned in the letter of motivation and in the subject line of the e-mail) before March 17, 2016, to the application email address below.
Applications should be in English, and electronically be submitted in a PDF document, named ‘Family name – Given name – vacancy number’. This document should include, in this order:
- A CV including education and employment history, publications, and courses taught;
- A letter of motivation including a personal vision of the field of English Linguistics (max 2 pages);
- A research agenda with clear potential for applications to funding bodies such as NWO, ERC etc. (max 2 pages);
- A teaching statement (1 page);
- Two sample course descriptions;
- Names, positions, and email addresses of three referees (no reference letters at this point).
A teaching presentation will be part of the procedure.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from visible minority groups, women, persons with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
Application Deadline: This position has been filled.
Email Address for Applications: Leerstoelen
Web Address for Applications: http://werkenbij.leidenuniv.nl/vacatures/wetenschappelijke-functies/16-024-vacature-universiteit-leiden-full-professorship-in-english-linguistics.html
Phone: +31 (0) 71 5272997
Page Updated: 17-Mar-2016