LINGUIST List 27.2168
Wed May 11 2016
Jobs: English; Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition: Full Professor, University of Vienna
Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamontlinguistlist.org>
Ute Smit <ute.smit
English; Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition: Full Professor, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: University of Vienna
Department: Department of English and American Studies and the Centre for Teacher Education
Job Location: Vienna, Austria
Web Address: http://goo.gl/JNCp1N
Job Title: Full Professor of English Language Education
Job Rank: Full Professor
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition
Required Language(s): English (eng)
The Faculty of Philological and Cultural Studies and the Centre for Teacher Education at the University of Vienna wishes to appoint a Full Professor of English Language Education (full-time, permanent position under private law, "§98 Professor").
The successful candidate will represent “English Language Education” at the University of Vienna in research and teaching. We are looking for an outstanding academic with an international research profile in the field of teaching and learning at secondary level, and possibly also at tertiary level, with a focus on empirical research in the classroom. She/He will contribute her/his expertise to consolidating and leading the English Language Education unit and will collaborate with the other specialist areas both in the Department of English and American Studies and the Centre for Teacher Education. The successful candidate will be expected to cooperate with schools, local education authorities and similar institutions.
Applicants should have the following qualifications:
- PhD in English linguistics with a focus on language education and post-doctoral experience at a university or other research institution (Austrian or equivalent international academic degree in the relevant field)
- Outstanding research and publication record, with an excellent reputation as an active member of the international scientific community; Habilitation (venia docendi) or equivalent international qualification in the relevant field is desirable;
- Language teaching experience, preferably at secondary level, in Austria and/or abroad;
- Experience in designing, procuring and leading major research projects, as well as the willingness and ability to lead research groups and to stimulate the work of junior academic colleagues;
- A broad teaching portfolio in English teacher education in all three degree programmes (bachelor, master and doctoral level) also in English, including the supervision of seminar papers and theses.
The University of Vienna expects the successful candidate to acquire, within three years, sufficient proficiency in German to participate in committees.
The University of Vienna offers:
- An attractive and dynamic research location in one of the world’s top cities for quality of life and in a country with excellent provisions for funding research;
- Attractive terms and conditions of employment with a negotiable and performance-related salary and an associated pension fund;
- A “start-up package“ for initiating research projects;
- A grant for relocating to Vienna.
The professorial appointment shall follow the decision from the Federal Ministry of Science, Research and Economy on the 2016 call regarding the higher education area structural funds for cooperation schemes in the field of teaching.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at/
For information on the application procedure see the online job advertisement below.
Application Deadline: 30-Jun-2016
Email Address for Applications: dekanat-pkw
Web Address for Applications: http://goo.gl/JNCp1N
Page Updated: 11-May-2016