LINGUIST List 27.3974
Thu Oct 06 2016
Jobs: Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisision; Bilingualism; Language Technologies: Specialist for Language Education, Occidental College
Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amandalinguistlist.org>
Human Resources <resumes
Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisision; Bilingualism; Language Technologies: Specialist for Language Education, Occidental College, California, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Occidental College
Department: Center for Digital Liberal Arts
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: http://www.oxy.edu/center-digital-liberal-arts
Job Title: Specialist for Language Education
Job Rank: Other; Specialist for Language Education
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Bilingualism, Language Technologies
Specialist for Language Education
Center for Digital Liberal Arts
Language study enhances students’ capacity to think, communicate, and pursue culturally-specific, nuanced undergraduate research. It is a critical component of a liberal arts education, and serves as a base upon which students may build a globally-minded education. Occidental’s language programs aim to provide second or third language proficiency in speaking and writing that will impact student success in research and coursework. The College seeks a Specialist for Language Education within its Center for Digital Liberal Arts to promote language education, enhance language pedagogy, and facilitate connections within language departments, as well as between related academic departments, the International Programs Office, and the McKinnon Center for Global Affairs.
Summary of Duties, Responsibilities and Goals
In support of the languages and related programs, the Specialist for Language Education will:
- Administer diagnostic testing, advising and placement of students in languages courses
- Supervise a team of student peer language tutors
- Attend professional language pedagogy conferences and workshops
- Research, identify, implement, and assess certifications, content resources, instructional technologies and innovative teaching practices related to language instruction
- Serve as a liaison between languages departments and other programs and departments
- Provide consultation with languages students on integrated learning experiences connecting interdisciplinary study, travel options, and cultural programming
- Assist languages departments in establishing uniform proficiency levels
- Foster partnerships with local community organizations and cultural heritage institutions
- Conduct lab sessions, workshops, curriculum design and faculty professional development
- Coordinate and promote cultural activities, such as film screenings, language tables and field trips.
As a member of the CDLA team, the Specialist for Language Education will additionally:
- Contribute to campus-wide efforts to deepen critical understanding and practice of emergent tools of knowledge production and communication consistent with a liberal arts education
- Explore intersections of digital humanities scholarship using computational, visual, textual, geo-spatial and other technologies with best practices in foreign language learning
- Advance the capacities of all members of the learning community, including students, faculty, staff and administration.
- Master’s degree - or advanced coursework in Applied Linguistics or comparable foreign languages and area studies
- Demonstrated experience in an academic setting providing teaching, technology and/or student/faculty support in a languages coordinator or similar position
- Undergraduate teaching experience in a foreign language.
- Proficiency in one or more of the languages regularly taught at Occidental.
Ideal candidates will demonstrate personal attributes of:
- Proactive leadership
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a team member and independently
- Excellent communications, supervisory and project management skills
- Intellectual curiosity
- Willingness to learn new tools and processes
- Enthusiasm for teaching and responsive instructional support
- Comfort with rapidly evolving digital media and instructional technologies
Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position to the application email below.
Application Deadline: 01-Nov-2016 (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: resumes
Page Updated: 06-Oct-2016