LINGUIST List 27.4696
Wed Nov 16 2016
Support: Indo-European; Tocharian; Old Iranian; Historical Linguistics; Language Contact / Netherlands
Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amandalinguistlist.org>
Van Wijk <lucl
Indo-European; Tocharian; Old Iranian; Historical Linguistics; Language Contact, PhD, Leiden University, Netherlands E-mail this message to a friend
Department: Leiden University Centre for Linguistics
Web Address: https://goo.gl/XsGPzJ
Institution/Organization: Leiden University
Specialty Areas: Historical Linguistics
Language Contact, Tocharian, Old Iranian
Required Language(s): Iranian (pes)
This PhD position is part of Michaël Peyrot’s NWO-funded VIDI project “Tracking the Tocharians” (http://www.nwo.nl/en/research-and-results/research-projects/i/53/26753.html
). In this project, the migration route of the Tocharians from the Proto-Indo-European homeland in the steppes of Eastern Europe to the Tarim Basin in Northwest China is reconstructed on the basis of contacts between Tocharian and other languages.
The central topic of this PhD position is formed by the contacts between Tocharian and Old Iranian. The objective is to investigate the prehistory of Tocharian and neighbouring languages on the basis of language contact. Fields that may additionally be involved include history, archaeology and genetics. Other relevant languages might be the language of the Bactria-Margiana Archaeological Complex (BMAC) and Old Chinese.
- Writing a PhD thesis;
- Submitting research results for publication in peer-reviewed academic journals;
- Presenting papers at (international) conferences;
- Some teaching in the second and third year of the appointment;
Organizing and participating in reading and discussions groups, seminars, workshops within the Leiden University Centre for Linguistics (LUCL).
- An MA or equivalent degree in Indo-European Linguistics, Iranian Studies, or another relevant field at the start of the contract;
- Demonstrable affinity with historical linguistics and a good working knowledge of a relevant Iranian language or Tocharian (knowledge of Tocharian is an advantage, but not a strict requirement);
Scientific interest, excellent analytical skills, and the ability to work independently;
- Proficiency in English, spoken as well as written.
For further information on these projects please contact M. Peyrot (m.peyrot
hum.leidenuniv.nl), or on practical matters M.S.K. van Gammeren (m.s.k.van.gammeren
Applicants are kindly requested to submit the following documents electronically in pdf format (in English):
- A letter stating your motivation for the position.
- Curriculum vitae.
- A short research proposal (max. 1000 words) for a project on the topic mentioned above, in which you describe how you would plan the project, which research questions you would formulate, which sources and methods you would use, which matters you find in need of special attention, how you would tackle any existing deficiencies in your knowledge, etc.
- References: the names and contact details (email addresses) of two persons whom we may contact for further information. One of these should be your MA thesis supervisor.
- Copies of your academic transcripts and your MA certificate (or a letter of your supervisor confirming the expected date of your MA).
- A copy of your MA thesis, and any other publication that is representative for your research qualities.
Applicants should submit their application before 10 December 2016. Applications should be sent to vacatureslucl
hum.leidenuniv.nl, clearly indicating the application number (16-369).
for additional information.
Applications Deadline: 10-Dec-2016
Mailing Address for Applications:
Dept:Leiden University Centre for Linguistics
Page Updated: 16-Nov-2016