LINGUIST List 27.4744
Fri Nov 18 2016
Support: English; German; Applied Linguistics; Pragmatics / Belgium
Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amandalinguistlist.org>
Sofie Decock <sofie.decock
English; German; Applied Linguistics; Pragmatics, PhD, Ghent University, Belgium E-mail this message to a friend
Department: Translation, Interpreting and Communication
Web Address: http://www.vtc.ugent.be
Institution/Organization: Ghent University
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Pragmatics
Required Language(s): English (eng) German (deu)
Applications are invited for a full-time PhD scholarship at the Department of Translation, Interpreting and Communication (Ghent University, MULTIPLES). The successful applicant will participate in a project on “The effect of linguistic wrapping on customer outcomes. A closer look at interpersonal strategies in German and UK B2C complaint management”, funded by the Special Research Fund at Ghent University.
This research project further explores the influence of language on customer outcomes in service contexts. Focusing on a German and UK B2C setting, it intends to study how interpersonal strategies and their linguistic realizations in organizational e-mail replies to complaints impact justice perceptions and satisfaction (a.o).
- Hold a Master’s degree in Multilingual Communication, Linguistics, Communication, Business Economics or an equivalent degree. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment
- Have an excellent track record
- Be highly motivated to carry out academic research with a view to obtaining a PhD
- Have a command of English and German at the C1/C2 level of the CEFR (Common European Framework) or as a native speaker
- Be willing to carry out experimental and interdisciplinary research
- Have excellent communication and organization skills
- Have excellent writing and presentation skills
- Work well independently, while also excelling in teamwork.
You will be expected to:
- Collect data and conduct both an empirical qualitative study and several experimental studies
- Prepare a PhD on the basis of the project
- Write individual and joint publications for national and international scientific journals
- Present your research at national and international conferences
We offer: a 48-month PhD position at Ghent University (Research Centre MULTIPLES & Department of Translation, Interpreting and Communication), starting 1 February 2017.
How to apply
Applicants are requested to submit the following documents:
- A letter of application and curriculum vitae
- A transcript of the required degree
- An overview of your study results
all merged into one PDF document
- A piece of writing (e.g. a student paper or publication) in English, German or Dutch which demonstrates your academic competence.
Applications are to be sent by e-mail to prof. dr. Sofie Decock (sofie.decock
ugent.be). The deadline for application is 15 December 2016, 23:59 (CET).
For inquiries, please contact prof. dr. Sofie Decock (sofie.decock
Applications Deadline: 15-Dec-2016
Mailing Address for Applications:
Attn: Prof. Dr. Sofie Decock
Department of Translation, Interpreting and Communication, Ghent University
Ghent Oost-Vlaanderen 9000
Prof. Dr. Sofie Decock
Page Updated: 18-Nov-2016