LINGUIST List 27.4780
Mon Nov 21 2016
Support: Arabic; Chinese; French; German; Italian; Japanese; Russian; Spanish; Language Acquisition / USA
Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amandalinguistlist.org>
Vera Lampley <vl2p
Arabic; Chinese; French; German; Italian; Japanese; Russian; Spanish; Language Acquisition: PhD, Carnegie Mellon Univeristy, USA E-mail this message to a friend
Department: Department of Modern Languages
Web Address: http://www.cmu.edu/dietrich/modlang/graduate/phd/index.html
Institution/Organization: Carnegie Mellon Univeristy
Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition
Required Language(s): Arabic, Standard (arb) Chinese, Mandarin (cmn) French (fra) German (deu) Italian (ita) Japanese (jpn) Russian (rus) Spanish (spa)
The Department of Modern Languages, at Carnegie Mellon University invites
applications for its Ph.D. program in Second Language Acquisition.
The ideal candidate will
- Hold an MA in linguistics, a foreign language, cognitive science or a related field.
- Be proficient in a second language such that the candidate can teach language
courses offered through the department (e.g., Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Spanish).
- Have an interest in one (or more) of the program’s four major research areas: 1) literacy development in a second language; 2) social dimensions of learning a second language; 3) instruction and learning of a second language; 4) cognitive aspects of second language learning.
Applications must be submitted online and include
- Current GRE scores (not older than 2 years)
- Current TOEFL scores (if applicable, not older than 2 years)
- Transcripts of undergraduate and previous graduate studies
- Three letters of recommendation
- A statement of research area interest and career goals
- A writing sample
Carnegie Mellon University recognizes the power of a diverse community and encourages applications from individuals with varied experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds.
Applications Deadline: 05-Jan-2017
Web Address for Applications: https://applygrad-dietrich.cs.cmu.edu/apply/index.php?domain=82
Page Updated: 21-Nov-2016