LINGUIST List 28.1510
Mon Mar 27 2017
Summer Schools: Statistics for the Behavioural Sciences/Denmark
Editor for this issue: Yue Chen <yuelinguistlist.org>
Laura Winther Balling <lwb.msc
Statistics for the Behavioural Sciences/Denmark E-mail this message to a friend
Host Institution: Copenhagen Business School
Coordinating Institution: Copenhagen Business School
Dates: 11-Dec-2017 - 15-Dec-2017
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Focus: The aim of the course is to enable participants to conduct sound quantitative research and statistical analyses, both in their PhD-projects and in their further careers inside and outside of academia. We start with the basics of quantitative research design and statistical testing, but quickly move on to the type of multivariate methods that are necessary to analyse real datasets with many variables and complex dependencies. We focus on the practical applications of statistics and include a substantial amount of hands-on examples and exercises. We use the open-source programme R which is a powerful tool that does not require an institutional license, but is freely available to all users. Throughout the course, we link the methods covered to participants’ own research projects.
Minimum Education Level: BA
Special Qualifications: The course is primarily for PhD students but other researchers are welcome if there are places available.
The course covers the following topics:
- Key aspects of quantitative research design, including research questions and hypotheses, sample and population, the types and roles of variables in the research design. We emphasise the importance of considering statistics from the earliest phases of research design.
- Loading and manipulating data in the R environment prior to analysis.
- Fundamentals of statistical testing: null and alternative hypotheses, test statistics and p-values.
- Selected simple statistical tests, the exact choice depending on the participants’ needs and backgrounds as expressed in a project description to be handed in before the course (see below).
- Multiple regression with a special emphasis on mixed-effects models which are ideal for research that involves multiple responses from multiple individuals.
Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics
Tuition: 6500 DKK
Registration: 24-Mar-2017 to 30-Oct-2017
Contact Person: Katja Høeg Tingleff
Apply on the web: http://ssl1.peoplexs.com/Peoplexs22/CandidatesPortalNoLogin/Vacancy.cfm?PortalID=15442&VacatureID=897977
Registration will be finally confirmed after the registration deadline.
Page Updated: 27-Mar-2017