LINGUIST List 28.1540
Tue Mar 28 2017
Calls: General Linguistics/UK
Editor for this issue: Kenneth Steimel <kenlinguistlist.org>
Lorena Kamstra <langue
12th Language at the University of Essex Postgraduate Conference E-mail this message to a friend
Full Title: 12th Language at the University of Essex Postgraduate Conference
Short Title: LangUE 2017
Date: 15-Jun-2017 - 15-Jun-2017
Location: University of Essex, Colchester, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Lorena Kamstra
Meeting Email: < click here to access email >
Web Site: http://www.essex.ac.uk/langling/conferences/langue/default.aspx
Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics
Call Deadline: 14-Apr-2017
The Department of Language and Linguistics at the University of Essex invites you to its twelfth postgraduate conference which will be held at the University of Essex on Thursday 15 June 2017. The conference aims at bringing together postgraduate students to present and discuss current research, results and problems from any field of linguistics.
The conference will include presentations of papers, posters, workshops and plenary talks. Please click ''View Call for Papers'' for more information about submission guidelines.
Invited Plenary Speakers:
We are pleased to announce Prof. Adam Ledgeway (University of Cambridge) Prof. Louisa Sadler (University of Essex) and Prof. Leah Roberts (University of York), as this year’s plenary speakers.
Information regarding registration can be found at http://www.essex.ac.uk/online_shop/conference/default.aspx?dept=LL&conference=langue
Call for Papers:
Abstracts of no more than 400 words are invited on any topic in linguistics. They should include name and institution. The deadline for receiving abstracts for oral presentations or poster presentations and workshops is Monday 14 April. Abstracts should be sent to langue
General Submissions Guidelines:
All the following guidelines apply to abstracts for both oral presentations and poster presentations, except where otherwise stated.
- Your abstract must be in Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) or PDF format. In addition, you should make sure that your abstract conforms to the formatting guidelines below.
- Please send a copy of your abstract file to the above email address. The copy should contain the abstract text and the following identifying information: title of abstract; author’s name; author’s affiliation. The filename of your abstract should be in the following format: first three words of the title of your abstract (e.g. SententialWordOrder.docx).
Please format the page as follows:
- Line spacing: 1.5
- All margins: 2.5cm (1 inch)
- Text alignment: justified
- Title text: Times New Roman, 14pt, bold, centred (NB: this should include name and affiliation on the named abstract file)
- Body text: Times New Roman, 12pt
- Paragraphs: do not indent; leave one clear line between paragraphs
Abstract Review and Acceptance:
- All abstracts which conform to the above guidelines will be anonymously reviewed by two reviewers. Once the review process is complete, you will be notified by the organizing committee if your abstract has been accepted for oral or poster presentation.
Submission to the 'Proceedings of the LangUE' will be invited from all those who present their work at the LangUE 2017. Submissions must be emailed to langue
essex.ac.uk by 15 June 2017, and revised papers may be submitted in the two weeks following the conference (to allow for revisions following comments/discussion at the conference). Proceedings guidelines will be available through the website shortly. The proceedings will be published online on http://www.essex.ac.uk/langling/conferences/langue/default.aspx
Each 30-minute oral presentation slot will consist of a 20 minute talk followed by 10 minutes for questions. Presenters must ensure that the duration of their talk adheres to the 20 minute rule; our programme is very strict and we will be sorry to stop you if we had to. We advise you on dividing your time, wisely, between the presentation and the questions. In any case, you won’t be allocated more than 30 mins for your talk.
Presenters should prepare their own handouts if they wish to distribute them to the participants. We advise presenters to bring between 10-15 copies to the conference. Please inform the chair or one of the organizers in advance in case you want to distribute copies to make the process run more smoothly. You can email us at langue
essex.ac.uk with a copy.
Presenters are encouraged to use PowerPoint as their presentation media. The conference venue will provide computers, projectors as well as speakers for PowerPoint presentations. Presenters who are using PowerPoint are strongly advised to send their presentations in 2 days before the due date (15 June 2017) to langue
essex.ac.uk to prevent delays in fetching data between the sessions. Please make sure to name your ppt. file as the following: YourLastName_Title.
Page Updated: 28-Mar-2017